Monday, August 15, 2016

Starting something new

I am a panster.

I don't know why I try to change my writing method this far into the game. I have three published books, I have another one coming out next year. I must be doing something right, right?

But still I feel as if there has to be a better way.

I've tried outlines.
I've tried note cards.
I've tried a timeline, color coded, and pretty.

But after all is said and done, I have to sit down and write the darn thing. As I sit staring at the blank page I think about the note cards, the outline, and pretty colors and I can't get a visual in my head of anything worth writing. It's just a blank slate.

I suck.
I have nothing left to say.
My people are not talking to me.
There is no plot.
I am blind to all of it.

All because I'm trying to follow something I can't see or feel.  And I still try to change my ways.

Why?

That's such an awesome question. I have no idea why. Once again, I toss the notes inside a box I will never open, file the outline in a file folder inside another folder I won't ever find again. And I clear my mind and write what I see and feel.

Sucky first drafts. That motto gives me permission to keep going. Hopefully, I get somewhere. I guess we'll see.

Liz


4 comments:

  1. I'm partly a pantser, especially to start, but eventaully I have to have some sort of outline, even if it's just what I've already written, and then I start filling in between the beginning and the end, sort of the combo method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how I try to plan and plot, I am a pantster too. When HarperCollins asked for an outline proposal of another book in my series, I had to write a rough draft first. You'd think, after three books with the same characters and setting, that I'd be able to outline a fourth. Nope. I could only outline about halfway through the story -- then nothing made sense.

    Only in writing the rough draft did I see a way to move forward and make all the good things happen. THEN I was able to write the proposal.

    It would be so much easier to be a plotter, an outliner. It would be lovely to know exactly where I'm going, why, and how to get there. But like you, that is not how I write.

    Still trying to live with the uncertainty. And only because uncertainty IS my creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outlines aren't for everyone. In your case, following your is best. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.