Monday, January 11, 2016

Goal Setting

I haven't thought about goal setting since last year. As the new year slowly creeps forward, I realize it is something I must do to ground myself. Life can be overwhelming sometimes. It's nice to have a piece of the road map.


Some things to consider as you begin to set your goals.
Know thy self. We are in constant change. Our needs and wants change during our lifespan. What we need now is different than what we needed in college, in high school, etc.  I explore my strengths and weaknesses while remaining true to myself. Not an easy task!

Build upon your strengths.  Every structure needs a firm foundation.  We all have weaknesses. I hate commas. I see them everywhere. They haunt me.  Find out where your strengths lie and build upon them. Eventually your strengths will outshine your weaknesses. You may even find comfort in learning that commas are not your enemy. 

As you set your goals and objectives, be aware of what you can control and what is out of your hands. When I decided to move forward and publish, I had to set clear goals on what I wanted to achieve based on my limitations of control. My goal wasn’t to end up of on the New York Times Bestseller list. Though that would be nice!  But I knew I couldn’t control how the book would be received.  I could, however, control the quality of the output. I could write the best book I possibly could at that point in my life.  I could promote it and keep writing.

and finallyCelebrate your accomplishments no matter how small!  Enjoy the moment!

Anything else I missed?

2 comments:

  1. I really like the thought of growing upon your strengths. Something I should focus on. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points. I'd add - aim for what you really want, not the things others want or which you feel should be important to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.