Thursday, October 22, 2015

An Aha! Moment

As I attempt to write a post using my phone. Which means I'm multitasking and using one finger to type. Forgive my typos..

Anyways...I wanted to touch on the dreaded synopsis. I just learned after many, many years the benefits of writing the synopsis after the crappy first draft. My aha! Moment came after I realized that by writing the synopsis I had no clue what my story was about. It seemed just to be scene after scene of stuff happening. It made me see the giant plot holes, stagnant characters, and loose ends.

Oh...woes is me. If only I had written the thing after the first draft.

Live and learn.

I am loving the rewrite though.

Please share your writing aha moment.

3 comments:

  1. It took me awhile to understand the benefits of the synopsis in the writing process. Now, I challenge you take it a step further. Try writing a synopsis before you even start the first draft on your next project. It doesn't have to be set in stone, just something to act as a loose road map.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My aha moment was recent. To prep for NaNoWriMo I bought and read James Scott Bell'system Write Your Novel From the Middle. I tend to get stuck in the midpoint of my story. And raising the stakes didn't seem to help with my waffling. But after Bell's explanation I went "aha!" And now I can't wait to apply it in my current WIP and my NaNoWriMo novel outline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you shared. Its a good test of where the work stands and I'll be using it too. :-)

    Anna from Elements of Writing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.