Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Starting Over

I took a writing break over the summer. I had a manuscript in submission. I learned over the years that I am not productive in the writing sense while on submission and decided not to fight it. I took a break. And then another. And then another. Yeah, the break lasted about three months.

During the writing process of three of my published novels, I had a 9-to-5 job outside the home, I had mommy duties, and still found time to write. I was more productive when I knew my time was limited. When I lost my job and had all the time in the world, I didn't know what to do with it.

Finally, I got a new job and I'm back trying to navigate this thing called balance.  Some things I tackled first:

1. I organized my house. One room at a time. This is a continuous process, never to end. Keeping that mindset keeps me sane.

2. I took a look at my goals: Career, family, writing, blogging etc. I began to jot down realistic goals.

3. I needed to involve my family in this process. They needed to know that I was going to start writing again. They needed to respect my time. It was hard the first go-round and I didn't want to go through that again.

4. I started reading for self-development. Writing books, self-help books, reminding myself what I needed to know to get back at it.

5. Finally, the doing part. There's no way to avoid it. And once I started writing again it felt real good.

How do you get back to writing?

4 comments:

  1. My motivation comes from reading about writing. There are other things too, but reading is my biggest motivator. :-)

    Anna from Elements of Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question!
    I'm floundering right now, as a matter of fact.
    And although yesterday I blogged about being "stuck" -- truth be told, it's not the story that's stuck. It's me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on pushing forward in your writing journey. It is true that when time is limited somehow we still get lots done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been taking a long break myself and trying to get back into it. Although I say that, aside from blogging, I did write and revise/edit poetry. So I guess my suggestion is to write shorter pieces or in short bursts. That way you can write something as often you'd like. Which also build into a huge body of work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.