Monday, June 22, 2015

Monday Madness

 

 
I've been thinking a lot about what makes me happy.
 
I love to write, but I'm not defined by my failures or successes in writing.
I will write regardless because it makes me happy.
 
I love being with my kids, exploring firsts through their eyes, but I am a separate person who has to find my own firsts and see through my own eyes.
 
I love working in the community, but my need for stability and financial security for me and my family has become more important.
 
I realized this past month, as I started a new professional journey and started examining my writing path, that I don't have to let go of what I love.
 
I can still fail and write.
I can still enjoy my children and be someone separate of them.
I can still volunteer in the community while working towards financial stability.
 
I can still be me.

7 comments:

  1. Biggest challenge ever is being me, but you seemed to have a handle on it :-)

    Anna from Elements of Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. A year after leaving the teaching profession (because the stress of it was killing me) to "write full time," I'm still trying to figure out how to be me. I don't write 9 to 5. I don't even write every day. But I am trying to be me in other things -- home projects, working my way back to physical fitness after being stressed and lazy for too many years. Also trying to figure out how to be me even when I fail (and can't talk about the failures because they are not supposed to be publicly revealed ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Defining "me" is fluid, in constant change and flux depending on our moment. But like a sculptor stripping away what is not the artwork underneath, if we strip away what is not "me" we can find something pretty awesome! I hope you find someone you can talk to about your failures. It's a burden we shouldn't have to carry by ourselves. =)

      Delete
  3. I love this! Finding time to be yourself and doing what you love and what makes you happy is very important. Other people are important too, but a person needs to make time for herself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm always trying to define "me" and stay true to me. It's so easy to lose that sense of who you are with the daily grind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.