Friday, May 22, 2015

Friday Fandom! Gabi, A Girl In Pieces


Gabi Hernandez chronicles her last year in high school in her diary: college applications, Cindy's pregnancy, Sebastian's coming out, the cute boys, her father's meth habit, and the food she craves. And best of all, the poetry that helps forge her identity.


My Review:

I would give this book ten stars if I could.  I stayed away from contemporary fiction as a teenager because I felt I had enough problems to deal with at the time, and I didn't want to add more problems via a fictional character. So I submerged myself in speculative fiction, reading Stephen King and Dean Koontz. Nothing quite like horror to put things in perspective.

But then I read this book.

All the memories of my youth came flooding back. Growing up Latina, whatever that means. I really had no clue. I wasn't Latina enough or American enough. The obsession with the hymen. Yeah...'nuff said about that. Addiction, death, guilt, and accepting who you are and learning to be okay with that, are all themes in this book that tugged at my heartstrings. I laughed. I cried. But most importantly, I found a kindred spirit in Gabi, though we're a few decades apart. And I'm Puerto Rican, not Mexican and my mom equated fat with being healthy. Yeah...couldn't pass on that arroz con gandules. She makes the best...but anyways...

Quintero does an amazing job writing about these themes with humor, wit, and so much heart it's hard not to feel it. I wish I'd read this book when I was a teen. I would've realized I wasn't alone.

6 comments:

  1. Ten stars? Wow! I love to read YA books now that I'm not a YA. haha Thanks for sharing! I'm going to look for this at my local library. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good, and wow, that cover is hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is hilarious by being so true. =)

      Delete
  3. I need to track this down, not that I want to relive my youth but get in touch with it. :-)

    Anna from Elements of Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I don't think I'd want to be seventeen again. =)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.