Wednesday, October 1, 2014

IWSG


Check out their website for more info here

Wow, we're already in October. I've been thinking a lot about the reasons why I write. Every now and again I have to remind myself of the value of writing...for me.

I write for publication and I write for me. These require two very different mindsets. When I write for publication I feel as if I have the intended readers looking over my shoulder. When I write for me it's just me.

When I write for publication everything needs to be perfect. I need to make sure I'm drawing my readers into the world I create, into my characters. When I write for me I have to make sure I'm drawn into my characters, that I care. Sometimes, these two work in harmony. Sometimes, there's a war in the midst. But how to determine which way to go? Ah...that is the question isn't it.

I believe as an author one must work in tandem with those two evils. I'm totally not saying readers are evil...or me, but that mindset that plays in the background of the writer's psyche.

Most of the success stories I've read Stephen King, Junot Diaz, and the like, have been about authors who've struggled with a story "the story" and have beaten it into submission. Now, I can't really say for certain, but it would be safe to assume that probably they weren't in a happy place during that time of their lives. If they were writing for themselves, they probably would've abandoned the story to find a new one or just kept writing crap. No one would see it anyways.  But their intention was publication. To have readers read and enjoy it.

What the heck is my point here? Well, after five years with this novel I'm currently writing, I have beaten it into submission. Tears, guilt, hopelessness, helplessness, desperation, denial...all injected themselves into the process like some bad drug. Now, I can't say for sure that this will be "the one". But I think it's safe to say that I'm writing "the end" on this fucker and moving on.

And that, my friends, family, and acquaintances, is inspiration.

18 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I remember when I wrote just for myself, before publication was a reality, and it was so much easier. It's harder when you know you want/have to publish the story you're writing. That's why it's important to take a step back and remember why we started writing in the first place. :)

    I wish you the best of luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've always hoped each novel I write would be published. I usually do the 'beating into submission' part in rewrites or after my editor makes suggestions. Until then, it's the story I want to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First drafts are strictly for me. But subsequent drafts have to be beaten down. The process works, it's just sometimes ... yeah it may take a few years. =)

      Delete
  3. Yes, get to the end! I so relate to that sentiment. Sometimes writing something different gets you going in a new direction. You can always go back to your other projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. And there's so many shiny new ideas to choose from. =)

      Delete
  4. I often feel beaten into submission - by agents, or the process, etc. And I often feel like I have to beat my work into submission to make it fill up the page. Good luck finishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do tend to write on the short end. My revisions have me adding stuff. I guess the "beaten path" gets us all beaten. We live. We learn.

      Delete
  5. First. I'd like to say how much I hate blogger.
    Two. Best of luck finishing up this project. And if you need me, I'm here =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol... Thanks. You actually read up to midpoint. I'm getting it done. So proud of meself. =)

      Delete
  6. my goodness! I love how you broke that down to THEM vs you. amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hell yeah! End that f***er! .... Sorry... You awoke the rebel in me. Now that's inspiration!

    I've ended a couple of novels and short stories and have said "Okay... not The One, but okay." Sometimes, you have to write the so-so's in order to build your muscles for the big one, whenever it comes. Like running 5ks and 10ks in preparations for a marathon. They're not the ultimate goal, but they are milestones in themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is! I agree about the so-so's but my gut tells me not to give up on this one. It's irritating.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on finishing! I can't imagine being as determined as you over 5 years. But like you, I'm actually going to write something for ME for my next WIP. If I can ever finish this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept busy with other projects but this one just glared at me. I think my muse was ready to hit me upside the head. lol. Good luck!

      Delete
  9. Yes congratulations on the end, for having the courage to send your baby out into the world and letting it go. Great post.

    Juneta at Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.