Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Brainstorming is magic

I love brainstorming sessions. I have them with my kids, my sisters, strangers... From brainstorming what a character looks like to how to kill 'em off. From cover design to fonts. Anything and everything is possible in brainstorming, one things leads to another, and I get hyped to finally write it. 

Here are some tips to having a great brainstorming session:

1. No paper and pencils. If you can record it fine. Only jot notes when you think you've got something.

2. Keep the group small and relevant. No more than five people and relevant, um, don't ask your seventy-year-old mom for ideas on how to murder someone.  Unless, of course, she just rolls that way. =)

3. Focus on one or two things during a brainstorming session: characters, plot, setting, scene design, what if questions, etc. If you leave it open it can get overwhelming.

4. Have fun.

What's your take on brainstorming sessions?

5 comments:

  1. Great idea! Although I'm a little concerned about approaching a group of strangers and asking for help in figuring out how to kill someone off... lol Have a lovely week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about having a brainstorming session with college kids who are studying technology or medicine for my next story. I could only imagine the stories I can collect there. =)

      Delete
  2. I once brainstormed a scene where my characters had to fight a wyvern in a confined space (the basement beneath an apartment building) at a restaurant table, lining up all the silverware to represent the walls. It was on a ski trip last winter. Present were my husband and oldest daughter (who are used to this sort of thing) and my daughter's best friend -- who wasn't. At first the expression on her face said, "Mrs. Salerni is a little nuts, isn't she?" But then she got into it. Lots of good ideas came out of that session before the pizza arrived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love it. =) I brainstormed the best way to set up a kill scene with my sons. I realized they watch way too much horror.

      Delete
  3. Hey, but what if your 70 year-old mom is an accomplished murderess?! No, really, I have a couple of fave people to brainstorm with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.