Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Everything is awesome...

Okay, I stole that from Lego Movie




So I'm going to spill my heart out here. The Lego movie really got to me.

Hold, up, come back.

Okay, So Emmet is this regular joe. He slides by society really unnoticed. And he's completely okay with it until he realizes that he really goes unnoticed. The why is what kills me.

He's agreeable...with everything.

I said...Holy Crap, that's me. I'm the bobble-head that just nods even though I feel I should say something. Anything. I'm the one that loses the argument on purpose. It allows me to fade in the background. I'm the person everyone forgets...and I couldn't figure out why. Yes, I'd go to meetings with people and have to introduce myself all over again. I went unnoticed in high school until I colored my hair blue-black and started dressing emo. Huh? What? Yup.

But is that what I want? To fade in the background, go unnoticed? Or do I want to be a superhero...Okay, that's Emmet.

I'm too old to be a superhero. My muscles laugh at me.

There are different ways we can all stand out, make the world a bit more colorful. I have promised myself to put some color in my life. Stop being bland. Not for attention, but because I feel I have something to contribute to the world.

Even if it's just brushing my hair.

What are some of the different ways you stand out...or would like to stand out?

10 comments:

  1. Oh, geez. Think you got me here, too. Here's to the bobble-head committee!!

    Stand out? I don't really think I do. I tend to be really (stupidly, actually) hard on myself. (Hey, I just used three words in a row with ly. #slapsface) See...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Can you imagine all of us bobble-heads in one room. It's weird on how hard we perceive ourselves. I think you stand out and as I recall you were brave enough to enter a beauty contest, no?? =)

      Delete
  2. I started singing the song as soon as I read the title to the post. I loved the message of the movie and also the way it's encouraged my kids to reclaim their broken Lego sets and become MASTER BUILDERS themselves! As for standing out...sometimes I wish I faded into the background more so I could just observe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids loved it too. We even found a Kragle at home. lol. There's hope for balance with the fade thing...I hope.

      Delete
  3. I'm the opposite, I can't keep my mouth shut even if I try really hard. Things that are "wrong" are like a thorn in my side that digs and digs until I SAY SOMETHING. Mostly, my advice and opinions are ignored. You'd think I'd learn... Good luck to you on becoming more forthright! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually pretty good at arguing for other people. I do it a lot at work. But when it comes to me...well, that's something different.

      Delete
  4. I've done both. Sit in the back, unnoticed. And opened my mouth and inserted foot. Now I try to meet myself half-way. Think before I talk and try to realize all people are different and have different opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, cute post! I feel like I am kind of unique, having been an artist showing in galleries, and now a writer, crafting novels. The two careers do dovetail in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! Makes me want to see the Lego movie :) I've never thought of myself as having anything that makes me stand out (other than when I was little and was the most annoying little sister in the world). Will have to work on that....

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Lego movie was so cute! I'd have to say I'm a little bit of both. Sometimes when I perform or teach, I'm in the spotlight. Other times, I like to sit back and observe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.