Monday, November 18, 2013

The Art of being Nice

Okay, so this has been bothering me for a while.

I think I'm generally a nice person.

  • I've always worked in the community helping people--foster care, mental health, etc. I believe people can accomplish great things when given the chance. 
  • I talk with youth about their futures and help them with things they may need.
  • I try to be helpful and offer my two cents when asked.
  • I even helped a little ole lady pick up her mail.
See, I could be nice.

But...

There's that one thing that irks the hell out of me. Okay, maybe more than one thing...

  • My work place is a place where I work. I don't gossip. I don't talk about my personal life. I don't need to know about your personal life. Please do not offer too much information I really don't need to complete my job.
  • At work when you see me running about like a chicken with her head cut off trying to find someone, write something, make copies etc., and I don't make eye contact with you while you start talking to me about...I have no clue...walk away. Please. Just walk away.
  • I don't really care if you don't like me because I'm busy and can't talk to you about your job right now. It isn't my job to talk to you about your job. Really.
  • I don't really care if you don't like me. I don't have to take you home with me. I forget you when I leave the office. Really, I do. And I hope you forget me.

Holy smokes, I am evil.

Whatcha think?  Am I just wrong?

10 comments:

  1. No...and do you now what? I feel the exact same way. And I'm pretty sure there are people around me who mirror it too. Doesn't make you evil - but if it does, I'll see you in hell :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sighs* Sometimes I think it all boils down to people seeing and hearing what they want, which fills them with the belief that they can judge because they've figured it (you) all out. Blah.... Gets so old. Oh and Ha! I just peeked at DRC's comment. Awesome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I stopped trying to figure them out. It's too exhausting.

      Delete
  3. No, I think efficient and focused is easily separated out from niceties. There's a place for both and it's usually not the same place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I say. Work is work and outside of work is...

      Delete
  4. LOL to DRCs comment - being focused on your work is not evil, for sure. I separate work from home too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's good to separate work life from home life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you work with people who have no consideration for others. It's obvious if someone is 1) free and 2) interested in having a chat. Don't feel guilty. Work IS for work. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.