Thursday, September 26, 2013

Remember to take care of yourself




Self care should not be an option, it should not take second in your long list of to do items, it should not be an afterthought. Self care should be at the forefront of every individual goal.

So why is it hard to actually do it?

I've been thinking a lot about my priorities. Who I am? What I want to do with my life?  Yeah...every now and again it's healthy to revamp your world. 

So...

Stop!

Reexamine your to-do lists, goals, and wants. Take it in small gulps. Don't think about your life in a general sense, that can be overwhelming for anyone. Especially me. Think about specific attributes instead.

Cross out all the stuff that makes you unhappy that you have power over. Those that make you unhappy that you don't have power over, ahem, all the housework, day job, etc change your  mindset about them. Draw in your resources (kids to clean), take a vacation (forget the job for a while), and take a break. 

Add something pleasurable to your list. Something for you

And do it.

Revisit this often and revamp it.  



5 comments:

  1. Done and done! Awesome advice. After using a home school curriculum for the last month that has me huffy every time I pick it up, I've decided to drop it and revert to what was working before. HUGE amounts of stress have melted off. Some headaches just aren't worth it, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! This school semester, I've ended up spreading myself thin helping other folks. I barely have time to breathe, but this year I have put my foot down and trying to swallow the guilt from family about doing absolutely nothing for one week between Christmas and the new year. My husband will be off and we'll have our own winter staycation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, as a mom this can be so hard! I feel like my time should go to my kids, but if I don't find a balance, I'm easily aggravated and then no one's happy!

    I'm glad you're finding time for yourself, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more. As members of busy families, it's easy to forget about our own needs. As writers, sometimes even more. Great advice from a wonderful friend was given to me years ago: How do you expect to care for those God has given you if you don't care for yourself, too?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.