Monday, August 19, 2013

Pop Travel by Tara Tyler


Disclaimer – This is not one of my typical Pop Travel promo posts, but it's been a concern of mine for a while. Elizabeth does a lot of positive work in Chicago, a wonderful example to others. But the views expressed in this post are not necessarily shared by her. I'm not trying to provoke, I'm just brainstorming and hoping to motivate us to find a solution to this growing problem! Thanks, Elizabeth, for the soap box! (Welcome and Congrats!)

Cities of Tomorrow. Do you remember these older movies: "Running Man," the original "Total Recall," "Blade Runner." Then there's "I, Robot" and even "Meet the Robinsons." Each one portrays future cities in very different lights, some bright, some dark. But none really show the problems under the surface.

Detroit is a lost city. What happened? This video gives a commentary on the rise and fall of historic Detroit. I have only visited cities – Atlanta, Cinci, Indy, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, San Francisco, to name a few. I've been sheltered from the negatives of true city life, living in suburbs just outside major cities like Detroit. To me, cities are scary, with vacant buildings, homeless people asking for money, gangs, and high crime rates. From what I've seen, they seem like tough places to rise out of and reach for the "American Dream."

I often wonder, what can I do to help – just one person? The government seems to want to throw money at the problem or ignore it. Many who don't live in urban areas aren't concerned about their problems. I recently read an article about a single dad who rode his bike a great distance to a large supermarket outside the city every other day to feed his kids healthy food because the only sources of nutrition near him are convenience stores and fast food. This growing problem is called a "food desert." As we can see from the last election, the cities have a very big voice and need to be heard.

My humble, naïve suggestion is not to give them a few fish, but to teach them how to fish. I would love to see big corporations have their employees volunteer on a regular basis, step in and help those unemployed citizens get their neighborhoods up and running for themselves. Start over, healthier, cleaner, with pride. Clear away the abandoned buildings and create shared businesses, maybe even shared crops to provide for those who contribute. Go back to the basics and not rely on others but rely on themselves, and feel productive and useful and proud. Attitude is everything!

I really like Deborah Simmons, Washington Times Senior Correspondent – she has a great outlook on what needs to be done. Video. And the problem exists in the UK as well. This company has a positive influence there - InnerCity Solutions.

Pop Travel is set in 2080 Atlanta, but like the movies above, it doesn't get into the demographics of the future. In my next one, Simulation, there is a homeless city, my vision of what could happen if things don't change… What do you think about the future of cities?

Thanks again, Elizabeth for letting me spout!
Here is the info for my recently released techno-thriller, Pop Travel.

Cooper thought he could get through
life without having to pop...
Pop Travel by Tara Tyler
A tale of deception and teleportation.

When a distraught client enters J.L. Cooper's small town detective agency ranting about a pop travel teleportation cover up, Cooper takes the case. He blames pop travel indirectly for his wife's death and would love to expose a glitch in it.

But the glitch turns out to be disintegrating travelers. And now, his client is dead, his secretary is missing, and a hitman is stalking him. Plus there's all the webcams watching his every move. So, Cooper has to find a way to expose the deadly flaw, while using pop travel to escape the maniacs covering it up, not to mention save a couple of tag-alongs he's not sure he can trust. No problem.

Available now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble

20 comments:

  1. Like what Habitat for Humanity does only on a much larger scale.
    I've seen downtown Detroit. It is very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, as long as there are some in government who want others dependent, you'll continue to see stories like Detroit happen elsewhere.

    Sad to say, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some cities have been able to completely revitalize their downtown districts (Cincinnati and Baltimore some to mind). Hopefully it's not too late for Detriot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's not just the big cities. Our little town's downtown fell into serious disrepair and neglect, and it wasn't safe anymore. The city finally got behind a revival project and now the downtown area has the best restaurant and is really safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Mark. We need less government and more individuals. I think it's funny when folks say what can I do. We must remember, Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., and Mother Theresa where all individuals who did something with a little help from friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chandara! Nice to meet you. Found you through Tara and looking forward to following :)

    Tara, You're thinking into these challenges is very inspiring. I only wish I knew the answers. The organization I work at offers free career counseling once a month, but I wish we could offer more. It's heartbreaking to see so much suffering. Thank you for getting our thoughts on the important topic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having moved from big-city life to suburbia, I see the same problems, just on a smaller, less frenzied scale. Because the cost of living is so much better here, though, I think people will continue to leave big cities in favor of small-town living. We'll have more medium sized cities, I guess.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great that you mentioned this and gave a different look to your books, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. City problems can spread, we need to help however we can. Nice of you to cover this real life issue Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like everything you've said here. I believe a lot of it is economy and greed. Also, I believe we've become such a 'throw away' society that it's nothing anymore to abandon a building to build a new one in a different location. I see this all the time where I live.

    A very thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. alex, yes, my hub does habitat for hum. w/coke and texas roadhouse
    mark, agreed!
    keith, to an extent... they tried in detroit but when the businesses are gone... =(
    diane, big cities need to follow little city leads!
    jenn, you are right, it will take a stronger person than me...
    emilyann, every little bit helps!
    robyn, that sounds like the trend.
    fida, thank you for coming!
    sheena, thanks, sweetie!
    word crafter, i see that a lot too. its sad! walmart has the policy to fill their spot before moving on... i like that!

    liz, thanks again for letting me spout! and looking forward to helping with your release!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Government induced city probs are the norm, especially for rural and inner cities. But some do break through and evolve. Tara's book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Elizabeth and Tara,
    The way things are going, we do need to be concerned about our future.
    Pop Travel sounds like an intriguing ride.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Elizabeth, Hi, Tara,

    Interesting topic. SInce I live in Chicago, I see many things. And, yes, Tara, there are lots of problems in cities....

    I like your suggestions. However, you must remember one very crucial thing. Some people DON'T want to be helped. Sad, but true.

    I see MANY homeless people every day, always asking for money. "I'm hungry ,,, please help!"

    I offer to buy them food... "NO, I want the cash." This is true. Many are alcoholics ... or on drugs. That's what they want the money for.

    Panera breads... a wonderful company reaching out to the homeless here are offering food and hot beverages to anyone who is unemployed or homeless. "Pay what you can. If you can."
    It's wonderful! And still just a few steps away the homeless are spouting out about being hungry. They now... they want cash. They don't want help.

    Of course, there are exceptions, I am sure. Like in actual run down neighborhoods. But I find it funny that these same people TRASH their neighborhoods and come into ours and trash ours. Again, sad but true. I've lived here NINE years and have been all over and have seen a lot.

    So, in theory, your plan sounds amazing, but in reality, the will of the people must support this vision. If not they will continue to live the lives they chose to live and trash it.

    On a much happier note. CONGRATS to both of you on your books! I wish you all the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We used to say the world is going to hell, now we say the world has gone to hell. How do we get back?

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's pretty sad how some cities have really disintegrated from their glory days. The downtown of my own city, Albany, was apparently some awesome, ethnically diverse neighborhood 100 years ago, called our own Lower East Side, but today a lot of it's skid-row, not a place I'd want to be at night. I'd glad some cities, like my native Pittsburgh, have really revitalized and made themselves safe, family-friendly, affordable places.

    I don't remember what this stands for, but I read in some book of future predictions long ago that there might be something called a BBM in place of cities. It's like a city that grows up inside of an enclosed structure, instead of out and around in the open air. I suppose that could lead to overpopulation, bankruptcy, and social problems as well, in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on your book.
    Some thought-provoking stuff here... definitely not straightforward and simple either...
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  18. loved the interview! tara is a peach!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.