Wednesday, May 1, 2013

IWSG- A lesson Learned

 
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post.

WELCOME!

I was going to let this month's IWSG pass because I'm so exhausted, but I wanted to share my experience today with everyone and thought it would fit nicely with my insecurities.

So, in case you missed some of my babbling, I work in a the non-profit sector. And anyone who's worked in a non-profit knows that we wear many, many hats. I was the youth club coordinator teaching writing, reading, math, and science enrichment to kids ages 5 - 10. Now, I'm the Youth Civic Engagement Coordinator, getting a solid group of community youth to become leaders in their communities. And I am soo...excited. I also handle the communications/development for the office. Yeah...how many hats is that? I lost count.

I spent the evening going to various youth programs. I met a fourteen-year-old boxer who inspired me to care for my health. A seventeen-year-old boxer who reminded me the importance of priorities. I met an ex-gang member with a felony who's turned his life around and is now mentoring youth. A nine-year-old who learned to channel his anger into something healthy.

I learned that the world doesn't revolve around me. No, let me change that. I was reminded that the world doesn't revolve around me. And that felt real good.

These past weeks had me questioning my own priorities. I don't have time to do everything I want, but I learned that I don't need to do everything to make me happy. I am committed to me. To my family. To my community. To my writing because it keeps me sane.  And being reminded that life exists outside my bubble makes me humble.

Hopefully, it'll keep me sane. =)

2 comments:

  1. It must be nice to work somewhere you see good things like that happening. And priorities can be difficult to put in the proper order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bubbles are cool because they can pop and get blown out all over the place again. Writing keeps me sane to, but family keeps me grounded:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.