Monday, April 15, 2013

RETRIBUTION...Book Review



Retribution by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Mass Market Paperback, 347 pages
Published August 2nd 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2011)


Orphaned as a child and raised by vampires, Abigail Yager lives for one purpose, and one purpose only: To avenge the deaths of vampires everywhere. To destroy the merciless Dark-Hunters who stalk and kill her adoptive race. But most of all, to find the one man responsible for brutally murdering her family: the ex-gunslinger Jess “Sundown” Brady…

Resurrected from death by a vengeful Greek goddess, Jess must hunt and destroy the creature who’s assassinating Dark-Hunters. The last thing he expects to find is a human face behind the killings—and especially one resembling the human who’d murdered him centuries ago. Jess knows he’s not the one who slaughtered Abigail’s parents. But now he must convince her of his innocence—and cross the abyss between human and vampire—before the darkest of powers rises to destroy them both…

My Review

We meet Jess as he's getting ready to marry the love of his life and turn his life around. But then he's killed by his best friend. Artemis finds him and he wants vengeance. He trades his mortality for it and becomes a Dark-Hunter.  Overall, I really enjoyed Jess. A breath of fresh air, his voice made me laugh and I rooted for him to succeed. But that's Kenyon's style. I love her Dark-Hunter world and the misfits she's created to protect humanity. They all have their flaws and pain. 

Abigail, however, began as a tough Dark-Hunter slayer. But when she finally faces Jess she seemed more weak than I'd imagined. She realizes she was deceived by her adopted family and led to blend her human blood with demon blood to be a more efficient killer. 

As in Kenyon fashion Jess and Abigail fall in love. This book is fast paced with the Apocalypse hanging over their heads after Abigail kills a Guardian.  Everything explained in the book. 

Having read the Dark-Hunter series out of order, there were some characters I hadn't met but I thought she weaved in their own stories as it was related to this book which was great. There wasn't much in the romance or love department due to the fast paced death looming over the group. Jess and Abigail had one moment alone, in a cramped, expensive car. Not what I'm used to in a Dark-Hunter book. 

Overall, I enjoyed the read and give it a 4/5 star rating. 


2 comments:

  1. True that Retribution didn't have some of the typical plot ingredients fans have come to expect with Kenyon's Dark Hunters but for me that was one of the reasons that I liked Jess and Abigail's story as much as I did. This series has 20+ books in it all told, but SK has managed to keep me hooked and interested by these slight changes in the way that she tells the stories. The stories still have everything they need to be great, but with the variations in telling that she uses she keeps the series from becoming stagnant and each successive book from seeming exactly like the one before it - just with different names and places.

    The Dark Hunters is one of my all time favorite series and I loved seeing "Sundown" meet his match and his mate! I've been looking forward to his story since we met him in Dance with the Devil and Kiss of the Night. So glad to meet another Kenyon fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am a fan. I started the series reading Acheron and I was like...whoa. What is this? But it was hard to find all the books--back when I didn't have an ereader--and so I read them all out of order. =)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.