The sequel to The Second Sign is sitting with the publishers now, so I got a bit of a breather! Yay!
I have to say, I have a bit more respect for the art of the sequel. Writing mine made me think about the elements I enjoy in them and what keeps me reading. Here's a list of my favs and why I keep reading them.
1. The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward. Ward's depth of character caught my interest. While the plot revolves around one particular character, she infuses other characters in subplots that eventually find their own book. I started reading the series with book 8, and though I was able to follow the plot, the other characters peeked my interest and I had to back track to book one to get the full story.
2. Harry Potter- This was just a fun read. Worldbuilding and character kept me interested in finishing the series.
3. Hunger Games- Again worldbuilding and character kept me interested. And yes, I wanted to know who she'd end up with.
4. The Demonata Series by Darren Shan - Worldbuilding kept me hooked on this one. He created a demon world with no boundaries. Horrorific all the way.
5. The Immortal Rules--Character kept me hooked on this one. This book reminded me of the movie Priest, not much of a surprise. The subplot with her maker drove me to put the second one on my TBR list.
There's a few more, but those are the ones I can think of right now. What keeps you reading beyond book one?