Wednesday, March 6, 2013

IWSG


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.

I can't believe how much stress I've been under after the launch, and I'm thinking...really? I have to do this again? Is this what I signed up for? Well, yes it is. When I decided to go public with my writing everything changed. I wanted, needed writing to be fun again.  And because of that, I had to step away. Take a moment to breathe, to remind myself who I am, what I love. It's not easy to see the positives when you're neck deep in the trenches, but they're there. Seeing it has to be deliberate. 

Here's what helped me

  • Live in the moment
  • Keep a positive mantra
  • Talk through your negativity with someone. Oftentimes, you'll realize it sounds ridiculous.
  • Let someone be your filter to the negativity. A family or friend comes in handy here.
  • Be true to yourself.
Anything you'd like to add to keep sane?


9 comments:

  1. That's a terrific bullet list. My poor brother is my negativity filter. He gets crazy ranting emails from me about the strangest things and then helps me see the ridiculous in it. Couldn't do this without him.

    And is there anything more important that staying true to yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great bullet list, I agree with those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how true is that list! I also have to add that for me, I have to stay away from negative people! It really seeps into my bones! I'm like a negativity sponge, unfortunately. Which means I definitely have to distance myself from people who are constantly complaining (ie- my Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing to add from me~ those bullet points are great things to keep in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely in the "think positive" camp of things. I find if i keep that up long enough, it's hard to be negative

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all feel overwhelmed with all of this at times. I have to remind myself to go with the flow and only do what I can.
    Congrats on your book!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. talking about it with those who get it isperfect! like every first wed! plus emails w/writer friends, hint, any time! i'm around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent tips. I've been feeling overwhelmed lately too. So much to do and so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone!

    Thanks Tara. I might just take you up on it. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.