Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Indie Life Post


What is Indie Life?
How: Sign up at the Indelibles blog.
When: Post on the second Wednesday of the month
What: Write anything indie related: something that will inspire or help a fellow indie; something that celebrates a release or a milestone; something that talks about the ups and downs, joys and heartaches of Being Indie.
Grab: The banner above to include in your posts!

***
After publication...

It's hard for me not to stalk readers, rankings, reviews, and other mentions in cyberspace. Everything feels like one big talent show and I'm waiting to get gonged. Please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers the Gong show. **hides face in shame**

Anyways...this publication business feels like high school again. Yes...high school. I wasn't popular. I hid in the crowd, liked being the shadow, the designated driver, the ear that the popular kids talked to. But now I have to stand in the light. I have to be noticed. And that, for me, is hard.

It's part of the reality of this job I didn't account for. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a total recluse and enjoy the company of humans over the age of four, but having to be out there while not knowing how I fit in is hard. And then I began watching...


I know it's fiction, but it's great fiction. And underlying each episode is the theme of achieving your dreams, of being different, of being part of something great. 

I am part of something great. I get to inspire, to create, to be part of a community who helps one another and encourage others to achieve their dreams and never give up. Now all I have to do is walk toward the light. Hopefully, I'll survive it. 

17 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure you'll survive. You're tough!

    And the Gong Show was funny. I much prefer the old game shows to the new reality game shows of today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding movies or TV shows the remind of the dream and the desire to follow it, even thought it can be tough going at first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I especially love anything with dancing and music. =)

      Delete
  3. You'll survive! You went for your dreams, and it can take some time to get used to being published, but you'll get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. Its not for the weak in heart or those with thin skin.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    Found you thru Indie Life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being part of this supportive community is wonderful. Keep going. It's what's necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your time to shine, Elizabeth! You've worked hard to get to this point. Try not to overstress over responses, and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, yes. This publishing thing can totally feel like a popularity contest. *sigh*

    Always good to focus on oneself and not on others...at least, that's what I tell myself, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Me too. I am my worst critic and my strongest competition. =)

      Delete
  8. Don't worry about it! It's natural to check in on things lots right after a release. It's a BIG moment, but it can feel kind of anticlimactic, too. And then…back to writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm slowly stepping off of the excitement and turning back to reality. Writing. =)

      Delete
  9. To be honest, one of the joys of indie life for me is just that: finding where I fit. It's been one of the wonderful parts of the journey:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. you can do it Liz! bask in the attention!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.