Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The 13th Floor Series Worldbuilding. A guest post.


WORLDBUILDING FOR THE 13TH FLOOR SERIES
by Christine Rains

Worldbuilding is one of the parts of the creation process that excites me. I love drawing maps of new worlds and giving life to exotic beings. Even in a modern day setting, some worldbuilding is necessary. You can't place your characters against a flat background and expect the story to be dynamic. It needs depth and color, flavorful details and a realm of possibilities.
                            
The 13th Floor series takes place in the modern world. I debated for a long time whether I was going to have the stories take place in a real city or a fictional one. Since I wanted a certain atmosphere and a good portion of the city is destroyed, I opted for one I created. I follow the rule go with what you know. Carmine is in north-west Indiana about two hours south of Chicago. Not as big as the Windy City nor Indianapolis, but Carmine has some big city characteristics. I plucked a few real life features of the two big cities and mashed them together to become Carmine.

My city named herself, and yes, she's definitely a lady. Carmine was one of those towns that grew a lot in the early half of the 20th century, but has been on the decline the last few decades. She's not as modern as the big cities, and she struggles to attract tourists. The architecture is older and allows her retain a 1940's style personality.

The building on which the protagonists of the series reside is one of those old buildings. I was inspired by a new building I saw when visiting family last year. It was just built, but it was made to look like something you might see one hundred years ago. It was a gorgeous structure, and the apartments were outrageously expensive!

I imagine the 13th floor itself to look like something from an old film. Faded paint and arched doors. Regal lamps rather than florescent lights and a worn carpet. A bit inspired by old places like the Stanley Hotel. Yes, a little bit creepy but full of intrigue.
 
What's your favorite part of worldbuilding?

Title: 1302 – The Alpha
Author: Christine Rains
Genre: paranormal romance
Release date: January 13th, 2013

One run in the woods wouldn't matter, or so thinks werewolf Stefanie Porter. Being cooped up in her apartment for months must have messed up her instincts, because her former pack almost catches her until a mysterious lone wolf jumps in to help Stefanie escape.

The cruel Alpha Wyatt not only stole her pack but refuses to give Stefanie her freedom. She can't hide in her apartment any longer or it will drive her crazy. She puts her trust in the lone wolf who can teach her some of his unusual urban survival tricks. James Roberts might be a bit geeky, but he's smart and looks hot when the argyle sweater comes off. His ridiculous ambition to become a superhero might be admirable if Wyatt couldn't rip him limb from limb.

With the pack scouring the city for her, Stefanie must convince James to teach her and control her own Alpha nature, or fight not only for her life, but his as well.

Author Bio:
Christine Rains is a writer, blogger, and geek mom. She has four degrees which help nothing with motherhood, but make her a great Jeopardy player. When she's not writing or reading, she having adventures with her son or watching cheesy movies on Syfy Channel. She's a member of S.C.I.F.I. The 13th Floor series is her first self-published series. She has three novellas and sixteen short stories published.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorchristinerains
Twitter: https://twitter.com/@CRainsWriter
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4017568.Christine_Rains

Buy Links
Amazon        B&N        Smashswords      KOBO       Goodreads(book)



20 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting me today, Liz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Great Post.

    I love world building. I love creating places, creating civilisations and creatures, and I absolutely LOVE coming up with dark histories and legends. They also shape how your world lives today.

    Love it!

    Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting how you came up with Carmine, and I love the name! Also love the description of the 13th Floor, the atmosphere adds so much to the intrigue of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best part for me is getting to know the places. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fictional city in our world is a cool idea, it will make readers feel slightly familiar but there's potential to surprise them too!

    I've been doing a lot of worldbuilding in my WIP as it's dystopian, before it was something I hadn't really thought about. It's been a lot of fun, I just have to be careful not to info dump!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DRC, I use to write a lot of epic fantasy just because the worldbuilding was so much fun!

    Julie, thank you! Carmine is a dark lady. A bit of a femme fatale.

    Misha, I love that too!

    Nick, there's always the temptation to info dump. It's a tricky thing to balance. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i picture your city as dark, creepy, surrounded by a scary, mysterious forest...so good at scene setting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very cool to have created your own city. What an amazing world you've built!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Thanks for the post! I love worldbuilding. Anything and everything is possible. =)

    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the worldbuilding in the 13th Floor series. It's awesome. Congrats, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always in awe of writers who can build their own world. I have enough trouble writing about the world as it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tara, thanks! I'm glad you can see her so vividly.

    Johanna, Liz, and Cherie, thank you!

    Jenn, worldbuilding can be so much fun. Of course, if you're making a whole new world, it can be a big work load!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always prefer a city I've created over one that exists. Great post on world building.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Ciara! It's so much fun to build your own worlds. You did an amazing job with Weighted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to say... worldbuilding is one of my favourite things to do... so much fun to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love novels where setting comes alive as if it were one of the characters. Not easy to do, but awesome when it's done. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tania, worldbuilding is really fun. You're great at it too! :)

    Anita, thanks! I love places that have real personality.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never read a blog post about world building - this was great! It's one of my favorite things to do too. Elizabeth, thanks for hosting Christine - her book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the worldbuilding. This is my first visit on this blog. Very informative blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.