Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group

The first Wednesday of every month is the Insecure Writer's Support Group started by Alex Cavanaugh. I missed the last two months and I feel as if I'm about to explode. Okay, vent is probably a better word.

Welcome to the dark recesses of my mind. Be forewarned, it's not a pretty sight. Here goes...

My book comes out in February and I'm going nuts. Is my marketing strategy enough? To hell with that, what about these interview questions...I can't get past the tell us a bit about yourself part.  I don't know. I haven't really given much thought about me. I breathe therefore I exist. No. Not good enough. I'm suppose to be funny and interesting and nice and knowledgeable and professional and ... Okay, let's try the next question. Tell us about your book? Huh, Wha-my book? What the heck is my book about, again?

That doesn't even touch the tip of the sliding avalanche about to crush me.

The R word. And I'm not talking about Rejection. At least rejection in the querying stage is private. It stings. Yes. I survived. What I'm talking about is the dreaded Reviews. Sending your stuff out to into the public eye where everyone will see it. Out there. Exposed.

The unknown is killing me. I'm excited, nervous, sick, scared, happy, sick some more...I can't keep up with my spiraling emotional roller coaster.

And among all that chaos I still find words that inspire.

 From Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury...
Yell. Jump. Play. Out-run those sons-of-bitches. They'll never live the way you live. So do it.
Except I never used the S.O.B. words. They were not allowed. Heck! was about the size and strength of my outcry. Stay alive!
So I collected comics, fell in love with carnivals and World's Fairs and began to write. And what, you ask, does writing teach us?
First and foremost, it reminds us that we are alive and that it is a gift and a privilege, not a right. We must earn life once it has been awarded us. Life asks for rewards back because it has favored us with animation. 
So while our art cannot, as we wish it could, save us from wars, privation, envy, greed, old age, or death, it can revitalize us amidst it all. 

So, on with it. Out-run those...okay, you get the point. Stop the nagging and get back to work. =)

11 comments:

  1. Can so relate to your worries Elizabeth. I think most authors share them. For me, a school visit seems even more scary.

    Enjoy your debut. I'm sure it'll go great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. You're kinda scaring me too. I'm not sure I want to get published! :)

    I think you'll do great. You're obviously funny--loved the I breathe therefore I exist line!

    It'll all work out. And remember, it is your first, you're allowed to ride that roller coaster. And then when you get to book #2, you can enjoy the ride a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, this reminds me I have an another interview to do myself. As soon as I saw the "tell us about yourself" I sighed and put it to the side :).

    I'm not worried about reviews on Amazon or BN. Some will like it and some probably won't. I'm worried about reviews from book bloggers. A negative one will impact sales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll do fine. This is the time to enjoy the spoils of all your hard work, not to sweat the small stuff. It will all work out one way or the other. It always does.

    Enjoyed reading your post, am now a follower. Looking forward to getting to know you better. Best of luck on your journey to publication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The unknown is so much harder than the known!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry what the reviews say. It's all subjective. The people who like your type of book will find it and read it. Best of luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys. =) I'm much better and I keep reminding myself what Neil Gaiman said in his speech...enjoy the moment. I'm enjoying those moments between the drama. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. you will be a big hit!! answer the questions as if you're chatting over coffee with a friend, embarrass yourself! people love that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love the quote from Ray Bradbury. You'll be fine. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha Tara, I excel at embarrassing myself. =)

    Thanks Brinda, I love the book too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can completely relate to your worries. I'm self-pubbing and releasing in February and I don't feel like I have enough time to prepare, and I'm definitely not ready for any reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.