Monday, August 13, 2012

Monday Madness

I finished the first round of edits and sent it to the publisher. Yay!

A few tidbits to think about for those braving the submission waters. And for those intending to. And for those who just wanna know...

You've spent 3 - 6 - 12 months writing that perfect book. Another 3 - 6 months querying until finally you get a contract! Yay! your book is going to be published. It's gone to the editor and comes back and, gnawing at your poor cuticles, you read the comments. And then you go back and think...what was I thinking when I wrote that?  Who are my characters, again?  What was the reasoning behind subplot A?

  • Tidbit Numero Uno:  Keep your notes organized as you will probably need them, again.  That tack board you so meticulously put up and put down once you started on book two...you're going to need it. Those notebooks, napkins, receipt you wrote your thoughts on...probably will help bring back the rationale behind your plot, character. You may not need it to write your scenes but it sure helps to get back into the groove, especially if it's been a while. 



  • Find someone to talk it out with, a crit partner, family member, clay figure...anyone that will listen. They don't necessarily have to provide a response.
  • Give yourself time. Don't jump at it right away. Read each comment/suggestion and let it digest for a while. It helps to take it in scene by scene. 
  • Don't be afraid of it. I actually loved the editing process. It gave me the leeway to expand on thoughts, setting, and characterization to make the book stronger. 

There you go. My bit of wisdom. Anything you'd like to add?

Oh, don't forget WriteOnCon. It's going to be awesome and activities start today! Check it out.



14 comments:

  1. I'll be needing this soon. :D Thanks, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how many rounds of edits the typical book goes through with a publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! Manic Mondays are always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soo true! I second the letting it settle: giving it some time really made it all seem more manageable when I did sit down to start. Otherwise it can be so friggin overwhelming :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Opening the email with the editorial comments is one of the scariest things ever! And yet, it always ends in something wonderful.

    You are so right about not jumping into the changes. I benefited a lot from waiting a few days, mulling over the comments, and letting them sink in.

    Congrats on finishing your first round!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder to keep all of my notes - yikes! I used to keep folders for each and every aspect of my story, but things have gotten a bit messy. Congratulations, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice. Please allow me to add to it. Keep your deleted scenes. I cannot count how many times I have had to search through my deleted scenes and added something back in that I had deleted months before. It's easy to cut out too much of you're striving for a certain work count.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for finishing your edits! And thank you for the excellent advice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on finishing the edits and awesome advice. I tend to dread the revising stage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your great comments. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on finishing the edits! Can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use a loose leaf book with tabs so I can track of character tidbits and information about the various planets and plot points.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the info and encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.