Thursday, June 21, 2012

My So-Called Teenage Life Blog Hop


My so-called teenage life blog hop hosted by Christa Writes. Check out the other entries.

A glimpse into my life at seventeen. I kept journals and burned them. Need I say more? Okay, so here's a reflection of me and all my...drama, drama, and more drama.

I hated high school. Hanging around with the popular kids--kids who drank, smoked, and who were already "experienced" -- I was the oddball. I was the designated driver. I was the one who made sure they got home okay. I was the ear when they needed to talk. All the while I wanted to get out of dodge.

What was wrong with me?  Why couldn't I be normal? One of them.  Hell, I wasn't Sandy (Grease) material. I never wanted to be. I just couldn't go there. I couldn't let anyone close.  I was okay with being the shadow. I convinced myself of this early on.

Then I dropped out of high school. Home life sucked.  Running away crept into my mind and lingered. Then something happened. I met a girl. She looked to be my age, 17, and was sitting on the ground at the bus stop. She looked lost. Homeless. 


She asked if I had money. I didn't.  I wanted to ask her if she needed help. I wanted to talk to her, to help her. But I didn't. The words wouldn't come to me and I continued on home, though all the while I couldn't get her out of my head. After scrambling whatever money I could, I went back to the bus stop but she was gone. 


It's been twenty-three years and I still remember that girl. I wonder what happened to her.  Every day since that encounter I regret not talking to her, not helping her.

She saved me from running away.






11 comments:

  1. Wow. Funny how one little thing like that--she never knew the effect she had on your life.

    How different your life would be if you hadn't seen her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Suzi, I think about that all the time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW that was a pretty loaded post! I'm glad you saw that girl too. Life does get better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting how you realized right away that you were no more invincible than she was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. woah. that is truly fate stepping in for you. so glad you became who you are. my son threatens to run away sometimes, i hope he never does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a powerful memory. It's amazing how important some people are in our lives--even ones who don't realize it. I'm glad she helped you find your way, and it's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I think every encounter has a purpose. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's incredible. I'm sure she never realized what you got from that brief meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's quite an amazing story. I don't think anything like that happens just by chance...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's intense. I've met lots of writers who have in one way or another had similar experiences. It makes me wonder if EVERYONE goes through it in high school or if writers write bc of the little broken part of them that never quite fit in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your comments. I think as artists we are a bit more sensitive to the world around us. And writing is a great way to get it out. It saved me that's for sure. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.