Monday, June 25, 2012

Kratos, God of War

Kratos, God Of War


In Greek mythology, Kratos or Cratus (Ancient Greek: Κράτος, English translation: "strength") was the son of Pallas and Styx, and the personification of strength and power.Kratos appears briefly in Greek mythology long enough to make an impression. Kratos and his siblings—Nike ("victory"), Bia ("force") and Zelus ("zeal")—were the winged enforcers of Olympian God Zeus. The figure makes an appearance in Aeschylus' Prometheus Bound, in which he is one of the trio that binds the titular Titan, the other two being Hephaestus and Bia.
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kratos_(mythology)

The four of them together were the first to stand with Zeus (Greek mythology) as he defended Mount Olympus from the god of monsters Typhon.

This is a small, but critical role in Greek mythology, as the story of Typhon is a central myth of the Olympian gods. Kratos doesn't play an enormous role in Greek myth, but his influence in modern mythology appears to be strong.

-http://www.gods-and-monsters.com/kratos-greek-mythology.html

Kratos is a video game character from Sony Santa Monica's God of War series, which is loosely based on Greek mythology.
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kratos_(God_of_War)

Kratos is the main protagonist and anti-hero of the God of War series. Born a Spartan, Kratos held the military rank of General, before exacting his revenge on the Olympians.-http://godofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Kratos

6 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of him, and I'd read a little Greek mythology.

    I also never knew Nike was a god. I wonder if that's where Nike Shoes came from--it makes sense if the name means victory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I knew mythology well, but I don't think I've come across Kratos before. Thanks for the description.

    Have a fantastic week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely don't want to cross paths with that dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! I love all these mythology tidbits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see you do a lot of research. That really helps with inspiration. I love the picture! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.