Go here to check out the other entrants.
How I plot? That is the question.
1. I get an idea. Usually, a character with something happening.
2. I jot down that specific scene that is in my head.
3. I begin to think...think...talk to my self...think some more. What am I thinking you ask? I ask myself...who is this character? why is she/he in this predicament? what are the events leading to this scene and what are the events that can unfold after...Then I ask where should this scene be placed. I usually work with the three act structure so is this the inciding incident? Midpoint? or is it the event leading up to the OMG moment? Once I figure out where the scene is placed, I begin to write more.
4. Once I'm stuck...I take out my good ole' pen and notebook and begin writing. I feel writing longhand lets me actually think and go slower than typing away like a madwoman.
5. If that doesn't dig me out, I begin to write a chapter by chapter outline just highlighting what happens and the purpose of that scene.
6. Then I write some more.
So... My poor first draft crit partners may see something like this...
They entered the recreational facility to find five boys playing with a basketball. One bounced the ball in perfect rhythm and shot it into the hoop about __ feet above his head. The others cheered at him. (describe boy) roach. The other four boys on the bench shocked her and she had to gather her thoughts. Describe them as Tyrell introduced them—see notes.)
I drive them nuts...you know who you are. =)
How do you plot?