Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A chance encounter

I’m stopped at a stoplight, my head leaning against the window of the driver-side door. I watch as a police officer, wearing the hat as crossing guard, crosses a few kids across the busy street. My mind wanders, not yet caffeinated. I think about the many things I have to do at work: call volunteers for an event we’re planning, follow up on emails, and confirm attendance at community events among other things. I’m thinking about my nine-year old as I left him this morning at school, how he bobbles as he walks, his hair almost at ten inches, almost ready to cut and donate. I think about my daughter, who I left with my mother-in-law so I can make ends meet at a day job outside of home ‘cause my second and third job starts when I get home.


My mind has turned to mush. Did I mention I have not had coffee yet?

The police officer enters my field of vision once more and I can’t help to notice him this time. He’s stopped directly in front of my car. And as the veil lifts off my vision, I see that he’s flexing his muscles at me, reminding me of the Hulk.

I laugh. I turn so red, but I laugh.

I don’t know who the officer is, haven’t seen him since and probably wouldn’t recognize him if I did, but I thank him for reminding me that there’s a whole world out there. And we should really pay attention to all of it, especially the goodness and the chance encounters that make us laugh.

Thank you Officer Friendly, whoever you are.

17 comments:

  1. Hahaha oh my gosh, that's hilarious!! Notice all that goodness each day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story!

    I'm from your campaign group, stopping by to say hi. I'm slow at making the rounds, but I'll get there eventually. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! You're right if we just keep our eyes open there is plenty of material all around! :) Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was worth a chuckle or two. I'm sure I would have blushed, too! It's a reminder to try and keep our minds in the here and now - at least while we're driving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! It's always nice to be reminded of the good in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure he appreciated you laughing at him. Lol Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love coffee. I can't function if I'm coffee deficient in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute! It's nice to know that someone has a sense of humor in the morning -- and wants to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need tea in the morning...then I see all the great people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not able to focus until I have my coffee in the morning. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. he's so sexy he thot you were staring at him! ha ha! great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great moment. lol I want to know what he was thinking, during and after you laughed. Did he laugh too?

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL.
    Tara, you are so wrong. =)
    I don't know. He laughed too and continued to the curb shaking his head. I think he knew I was in la-la land. Thankfully, the light turned green and I was good to go. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love unexpected moments like this, when a complete stranger makes you laugh instead of making you mad. It doesn't happen often enough :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.