Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Inspiration Nation

The first Wednesday of the month is reserved for Insecure Writer's Support Group.

So here are a list of my top five reads of 2011 that have inspired me to reach beyond the stars.  Okay, lame, but these books inspired me to become a better writer.

 1. Five Flavors of Dumb-Made me laugh, cry, and cheer for the underdog. Great Read!
YA Contemporary

 

2. The Body Finder: Loved the suspense and romance of the two main characters.
YA Thriller


3. Infinity: Totally unbelievable but totally fun. 
YA Urban Fantasy

4. The Lost Symbol. Dan Brown what else can I say. I believe him just on pure faith.


Thriller
5. Best Served Cold. A great ecclectic cast of characters and an edge of your seat ride. Loved it!
Fantasy
 

What are your favorites of 2011?

11 comments:

  1. "Legacy of the Empress" by Rebecca Knight, is a YA fantasy I especially enjoyed. It is inspiring not only for the wonderful writing, but because Rebecca is a debut author from my own communty! Thanks for the great posts Elizabeth and Evangeline!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those all have great covers! I read some really great old-fashioned epic fantasy this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Angel Burn" by L.A. Weatherly. That book was AMAZING.

    I'll have to check out some of the books you read! They look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading a lot of poetry lately and these have been my favourites:

    Oasis - by Jo VonBargen:
    http://www.amazon.com/OASIS-Transcending-Hard-Times-ebook/dp/B005JVEZC4/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

    The Great Modern Poets - by Michael Schmidt:
    http://www.amazon.com/Great-Modern-Poets-Michael-Schmidt/dp/1905204329/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325688626&sr=1-1

    Voice Recognition - Anthology of new poets:
    http://www.amazon.com/Voice-Recognition-Poets-21st-Century/dp/1852248386/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325688597&sr=1-1


    and of course

    I threw a stone - poetry and audio book from Oscar Sparrow (sorry bit of a plug as I wrote the foreword)

    http://www.amazon.com/threw-active-contents-minute-ebook/dp/B006LLEULC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325688731&sr=1-1


    Hope 2012 is full of poetical insights for all.
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that title - Five Flavors of Dumb. Sounds like a fun one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm....I haven't read (or heard) of several of these. Off to goodreads. New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Sherrilyn Kenyon's adult series, I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good list! I need to pick up one of Abercrombie's books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks and thanks for the recommnedations. I'm always looking to extend my TBR list. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know it's not 'done' to admit to liking Dan Brown, but I really enjoy his stories, enough to overlook any aspects of the writing that might make me wince a little :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL. Dan Brown is not the only one. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.