Wednesday, November 2, 2011

O where O where has my sanity gone?

Alex J. Cavanaugh Insecure Writer's Support Group
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! Go here to check out other participants and offer encouragement.


Where to begin...is always the first question that comes to mind while writing this post. Doubt? Me? Let me tell ya...

The waiting game. Yup, patience is a virtue and I'm all over the place. The time is ticking on a full. The only one out there in the hands of someone I don't even know. Not really. I don't even know what she looks like. Her name haunts my waking hours and my dreams. She's going to love it! She's going to hate it! She's going to offer positive feedback. She's going to give me a form R. She's never going to respond. Jeeze, I can go mad just thinking about it. Then, like if that's not grounds enough to seek therapy, that one is contemporary while the next one is horror. So what do I do when she calls and asks about my next project? Because you know she will, right? Do I tell her that my heart is leaning towards the supernatural horror and not entirely with contemporary? Or should I take out that contemporary story I started three months ago and start writing it just in case?  And then, yes there's more, do I completely file away that contemporary after it has garnered the most request or do I keep going with it? 

Yeah, I know questions, questions, and more questions. It reminds me of my son when he was about three and his favorite question was "why?"  Why does that work like that? Why do you have to do that? Why? Why? Why?

I have so misplaced my sanity. Has anyone found it somewhere?

16 comments:

  1. Here it is; you left it in the freezer again! Darned sanity, always crawling off somewhere.

    Yeah, we can all feel like this. Maybe not too helpful, but I just write for myself these days. If someone else likes it, great! If not, oh well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you find your sanity, will you check for mine as well? I think it must be in that place where little boy socks go when they disappear in the dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg I know exactly how you feel! Is that what's wrong with me? I lost my sanity and I don't even know it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO...you guys are a trip without a passport. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Can't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't found your sanity. Sorry. BUT I do completely understand every single word of your doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't found your sanity. Sorry. BUT I do completely understand every single word of your doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to know lots of other writers are plagued with doubts too. So often we are the biggest hurdles to our own success.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so many decisions! if you want to work on all of them, i suggest keeping them all out and choose one a day, for however long, according to what mood you're in =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been there tons of times. It's like we're playing a guessing game to know which bait to use to catch an agent. Until I decided to stop playing. Go with the genre you feel most passionate about. It's the only way to be trully happy with your writing. And Supernatural Horror sounds awesome.

    Since I don't have access to your email, in reply to your comment on my blog: I can relate. My parents didn't speak a word of English when I moved here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your sanity and 'm holding it hostage. You'll receive my ransom demands by encrypted email. Lol! The last thing I want is to provoke a crazed writer, desperate to find her sanity, to come after me.

    Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sanity is still there, this is just your neurosis talking. Tell it to be quiet!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. While you're on the hunt for yours, would you see if you find mine too? My formula is to settle into something that'll keep me occupied for a good while. I don't notice the time passing that way...well, not too much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel as if I lose my sanity daily...for various reason. I wish I had a key to getting through the insanity but sadly I don't. Like your post and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wait, sanity? What's this? Is it something that everyone has? Where's mine?

    Best of luck on the full :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sanity? That leaves the moment you become a writer. What sane person writes?

    ReplyDelete
  16. =) Thanks everyone. I think I'm better off without it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.