Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Inspiration strikes again...

First, I want to congratulate all those that braved Nano. Whether you accomplished your goals or not, Kudos to you!


Though I didn’t sign up for Nano this year a sudden inspiration had me writing like a madwoman and in three weeks my current WIP is at 44, 000 words. Unlike my previous manuscript, this one is another YA contemporary story. After I struggled with my first contemporary YA (feeling the need to add an alien, vampire, or nut job), I thought I was done with the genre. I guess I was wrong.

What inspired me to write this one?

When I was seventeen, a very long time ago, I had a guy friend who had been beaten to an inch of his life because he looked inside the wrong car. At seventeen, he was chased by a group of guys high on drugs and liquor. And they knew him and knew he wasn’t in a gang. My friend actually played ball with them when there was still such a thing called sandlots. These guys caught my friend in an alley and proceeded to pound the crap out of him resulting in four lost teeth, broken ribs, and a determination never to be vulnerable to “them” ever again.

A stranger in a black car saved his life. He’d never see the man again.

And so my ms is about a kid running for his life and the family that saves him.

What inspired your current ms?

10 comments:

  1. I heard a story about a groom who died the night before his wedding. My story is the aftermath of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a horrifying experience for your friend. Thank heavens for the stranger in the black car!

    My current WIP was inspired by a) the TV show Ancient Aliens and b) a recurring idea I wanted to play with ... a seventeen year old girl at the turn of the century facing a loveless arranged marriage with a young man still in love with his dead first wife.

    I know they don't seem to mesh, but ... I'm working on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what a story! Sounds like a great book idea. Congrats on 44,000 words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that story is amazing and horrifying. But it will make a heck of a YA book. Good luck. 44,000 words is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder that story inspired you! You're doing great at 44,000 words. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's a crazy story! Sounds like it will be a great read :) Personally, I'm always inspired by music--some song or another will just get things rolling and I have to run to keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in between MS, so I'm brainstorming inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amie, wow, that gives me goosebumps. Real life can never compare with fiction.

    Dianne, yeah, I told him he had a guardian angel. =) Your story sounds interesting. Can't wait to hear what you come up with.

    Stacie, Christa, ER King, thanks. Yeah I gotta go with the flow sometimes. Thanks!

    Meradeth, music does inspire. It's funny cause my MC's find inspiration through music as well.

    Lydia, I love brainstorming. The sky is the limit.

    Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your story sounds interesting but horrifying! My new toy is about a girl who falls to her death but doesn't die.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a horrible thing to happen. I'm glad his life was saved. I can see why this would inspire you. Congrats on the progress of your WIP.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.