Thursday, October 20, 2011

Third Campaigner Challenge

The rules. 

Write a blog post in 300 words or less, excluding the title. The post can be in any format, whether flash fiction, non-fiction, humorous blog musings, poem, etc. The blog post should show:
  • that it’s morning, 
  • that a man or a woman (or both) is at the beach
  • that the MC (main character) is bored
  • that something stinks behind where he/she is sitting
  • that something surprising happens.
Just for fun, see if you can involve all five senses AND include these random words: "synbatec," "wastopaneer," and "tacise."   (NB. these words are completely made up and are not intended to have any meaning other than the one you give them).

I am # 76. Go here to check out the entries.

The sun spilled its golden beams over the bobbing corpses in the lake. The water lapped at Marty's feet as if daring her to touch it.

"This is perfect," Mark said .

It seemed a million years ago that everything had been perfect.  Now she toted a loaded gun with a guy who happened to have a screwed up compass.  And priorities. "How much time do you think we have?" she asked. She wanted to ask how much time they had before the undead came staggering through the wall of cars where they would find two morsels to devour.

"Sundown."

"Wow, that long. What will we do in the meantime?" With no memory of having slept in the last twenty-four hours boring felt normal. Well, except for the stench of raw meat and sour lemons wrapping them from either direction. The taste of lemon peels mixed with iron edged its way to the back of her throat. “We are dead meat. Literally.”

“Not quite. We can go up to the wastopaneer.”

“The what?”

“You know...” he lifted his chin towards the jumbled mass of rotted wood that had once been a pier.

“You mean whatchamacallit. And it’s called a pier. And no.  I don’t feel like falling on my tacise and getting wet.”

He raised a brow.

“Backside.”

“You’re such a synbatec.” He smiled.

“I don’t even want to know what you mean by that.”

“We have two choices really. Stay or follow the current. Pick one.”

“I chose the red pill. Ignorance is bliss.”

The corpses closest to shore began to edge their way towards land.  Her heart leapt for her throat as one moved.  “Option three: we make our way back towards the familiars and debate our way to freedom,” she said, cocking her rifle.  

36 comments:

  1. Hahaha great post! Loved the ending. I'll be telling everyone to kiss my tacise today and they won't know what I mean. LOL Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Bobbing corpses, raw meat & sour lemons...you made my stomach want to hurl. lol

    Nice, er, gross, descriptions. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this. It sounds like the start of a great adventure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great descriptions in this. Makes you feel like you're watching the scene play out. Would love to see what follows this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first line = awesome! Not something you'd expect to accompany a nice sunrise. Excellent way to draft your final entry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bobbing corpses. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet! How can I resist corpses? ewww...that sounded so wrong. Thanks for commenting on my contest entry! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the use you've made of the assigned words. Liked the action/adventure tone of this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the use you've made of the assigned words. Liked the action/adventure tone of this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved it!! You left me wanting more of the story! Wonderful take on the challenge :)

    I'm entry #5

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved it!! You left me wanting more of the story! Wonderful take on the challenge :)

    I'm entry #5

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a sucker for the underdog with a cocky comeback! It's like Zombieland set on the beach! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the imagery and world you created. Nice use of the made up words too. I love the twist!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What crazy fun! Made up words fit in nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ewwww. ...I like. Great job on this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! Your writing is my cup of tea, hon. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eww more corpses! I am starting to feel squeamish. Really good job, and I love how you used the words.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great entry and great imagery! :D

    I'm entry #69 :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think I'd be that calm when surrounded by corpses. Nice job. Mine is #56

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, this was totally fun and engaging (which sounds odd, considering the subject matter of the story~ I just mean it was well-written) :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very intriguing tale & nice use of the words! You made me want to read a bit more! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  22. I chose option three too :) Great descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This feels like the start of a great ride!
    I love the imagery, your voice, and the way the characters bounce off one another.
    Mine is #25.

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a crazy situation!
    ah!
    great job =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm your 200th follower! Yay! Great story...one of my favorites so far. I loved the Matrix reference lol. Mine is #70.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this! I'm a big zombie fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. =) Thanks Jennifer

    And yay Jessica. 200! Now i gotta go celebrate. Maybe a contest? =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it, creative and creepy. You have my vote and my follow.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i imagine it will be quite a lively debate. Nice job, feels like the start of quite an adventure.

    mood
    (now following)
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    no. 79

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the comments and the follow.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Creative, creepy and fun to read. I enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm pleased to announce that your piece is moving on to the second round of judging! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for reading Maeve.

    And thanks J. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.