Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Book Review


I've decided to brave the waters of book reviews. This will be a monthly addition to my blog. I hope you enjoy. 

Blurb from book:

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private purgatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

Once the righteous Ig had enjoyed the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician and younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, he had security, wealth, and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more—he had Merrin and a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring, and unlikely midsummer magic.

But Merrin’s death damned all that. The only suspect in the crime, Ig was never charged or tried. And he was never cleared. In the court of public opinion in Gideon, New Hampshire, Ig is and always will be guilty because his rich and connected parents pulled strings to make the investigation go away. Nothing Ig can do, nothing he can say, matters. Everyone, it seems, including God, has abandoned him. Everyone, that is, but the devil inside. . . .

Now Ig is possessed of a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look—a macabre talent he intends to use to find the monster who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It’s time for a little revenge. . . . It’s time the devil had his due. . . .


First Line:  Ignatius Martin Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things.

What's not to like about this first line, right?

My review:

Iggy wakes up from a hangover after the first anniversary of his girlfriend’s brutal murder…with horns. The demon kind.

He sees it, feels it throbbing in his forehead. He does what any young man would do should he find horns growing out of his forehead, he goes to the doctor then a priest. Whoever sees him, and his sprouting horns, reveals deepest morbid secrets: the Doc, a possible pedophile, the priest with less than pure thoughts about Iggy. As a matter of fact, everyone believes Iggy to be guilty of his girlfriend’s murder, though the authorities couldn’t prove anything due to a suspicious fire that destroyed the evidence. The killer was never apprehended. Even Iggy’s parents reveal they believe that Iggy killed her. Except his brother who has his own truths of what happened the night she died and on impulse shares it with Iggy.

The story, told in present and flash back form, tells the story of a boy entranced in a love too good to be true. Twists and turns along the way lead to a heartfelt conclusion, amongst the jealousy, revenge and murders, of course. I found myself rooting for Iggy and his demon horns. Though the explanation behind the horns was unclear to me, it didn’t deter me from enjoying the story.

I decided to check out this author after a fellow blogger recommended him. 

For a sneak peek go here. 

Any thriller/horror books/authors you'd like to recommend?

21 comments:

  1. Great review - sounds like an interesting read! I'm not big into horror because I scare easily. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chandra - great review, sounds like a great read. I was reading your bio. Love the fact that you feel that your blog is a work in progress. That is how I feel. It reflects who we are in general, we are all works in progress, changing as time goes by. Love it! I am glad our blogs have met.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on taking this bold step Chandra. :) There are so many emotions one goes through while reading a book. Reviewing a book is a great way to do that! I like doing reviews because I can finally share all my feelings with my friends.
    Hope you enjoy this journey.
    And great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice review. I enjoyed this book quite a bit when I read it. I'm becoming a pretty big Joe Hill fan, I guess. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, that would give me nightmares. :) I really can't handle horror of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talli and Stacy, I will be reviewing other genres as well. Thanks for your comments.

    Maeve, thank you for such kind words. I'm glad too.

    Shilpa, posting reviews is a big step for me because I never want to offend, but I also want to be honest with my readers and give them a glimpse of my likes and dislikes too. We'll see how it works out. =) Thanks for the encouragement.

    Hey Anthony, no surprise that you've already read him. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent review. I really like that first line! Stephen King will always be the king of horror for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really sounds different. Your review makes me want to pick it up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this book, the premise was really interesting to me, as was the inner "justice" that took place. But I guess what do you expect from the son of Mr. Horror himself, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine, um, I didn't mention that he is *rumored* to be the son of the master himself.

    Sarah, I hope you enjoy if you do decide to pick it up.

    Julie, you are the fellow blogger I mentioned in the post and yeah, i did pick it up because of his relationship with my muse. =) I found it interesting that he thanked his sister Naomi King yet uses a pen name. I guess he's not trying to hide it all that well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Liz,
    I have been away too long and I like all the nice surprises your blog is offering. Will try to be regular now. Look forward to your new venture..book reviews

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review. I enjoyed Hill's Heart-Shaped Box and this is on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It’s so awesome to visit your lovely blog today on this Halloween blog hop hosted by Free Book Reviews. I think this is an awesome opportunity to meet other authors! I’m joining your blog and I hope you’ll join mine, too, so we can learn more about one another.
    My favorite monster movie is Night of the Living Dead and I’m dressing up as a mime. Mime is one of the most ancient forms of theatre, appearing around the time of the Greek tragedies. I hope to perfect the art and technique of portraying a mood, idea, or narration by gestures and bodily movements. The only problem is…that I have a big mouth! LOL. It’s so nice to meet you!

    Chrissy

    P.S. I’d love to connect with you online! My blog link is http://chrissypeebles.blogspot.com/My Facebook link is: http://www.facebook.com/#!/chrissy.peebles1
    My twitter link is: http://twitter.com/#!/ChrissyPeebles1

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello!

    I'm stopping by on for the Halloween Hop! My favorite Halloween movie is PUMPKINHEAD and my favorite scary novel is THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE. For Halloween, I will be dressed up as a horror writer posing as a software developer. I hope that you have a wonderful Halloween!

    -aniko

    ReplyDelete
  15. Biola, nice to have you. I look forward to it! Thanks.

    Medeia, that on is on my TBR list.

    Anita, yeah I love it too.

    Chrissy, great to have you and thanks for the follow. I'm on my way to yours now. =)

    Aniko, I gotta check out that movie. Love your costume. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like it! Thanks for the tip and the review. I'm probably going to read it...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm thinking to check this book out.

    My favorite Halloween movie is probably Rocky Horror Picture Show, but my favorite Scary movie is Nightmare On Elm Street!



    Come check out all kinds of Writing, Movie and other Miscellany over on WRITE READ WATCH. I’m also looking for authors and nanowrimo failures and winners to write guest blogs for November! Any takers! Lolsz. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi chandra! and congrats on the first review!
    maybe u can review mine when it comes out?? :)
    just doing the rounds on the halloween hop and glad i found your blog!
    thanks for posting the badge!
    best
    hope to see u round!
    jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your comments.

    Jeremy, I'll be on the look out for it. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.