Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Writing and family

Alex Cavanaugh has organized the Insecure Writer's Support Group. "Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!" Check out other posts here.

My most pressing insecurities, because there are plenty, involves my family and how they interpret my passion for writing. It kills me to hear, "What are you waiting for, publish already?" or others saying, "Why bother?"
I will write regardless of publishing credits. It's what I love and it is what keeps me sane among the chaos of my life...kids, husband, house, work outside the home, work inside the home...on and on.  But having support within my family, instead of doubt, would be nice. I've learned to put my writing among the long list of items to do. It's up there after putting the kids to bed and before laundry.  And I learned not to feel guilty.  It also helps that there are awesome people out there who understand.  When I publish (putting it out there for the universe) it will be an extra incentive. =)



15 comments:

  1. Writing is hard enough without having support from family. I'm so glad that you're part of the online community who know what it's like, and are ready to support and encourage you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having support really helps the process, but you also have to remember to find fun in the actual process of writing to keep you going. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's important to have that support (especially from writer friends) since nonwriters see writing and the whole publishing process differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean! Keep on writing, it's totally worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly how you feel. My family doesn't really understand. It's my thing and they leave it at that. Yet all these great people I've met in real life and on the net have been super. You're not alone. We're all here to support you. :) Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is precisely why I love the writerly community--my family doesn't really understand why I do this, or even that it is extremely important to me. They view it as a hobby, or worse, something that takes time away from important stuff, like making dinner and laundry (hefty dose of sarcasm there). I need to work on that guilt, and the support of others who know that feeling when you finish a WIP or get a rejection is invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone. It is nice to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear that people in your family don't understand. Mine wouldn't either so I didn't tell them. :( Chin up because you have a TON of people in the writer community who believe in YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry your family doesn't understand! You need encouragement, this is the place to be. I wouldn't still be writing if it wasn't for my awesome blogger buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Balancing writing and family time is tough--especially after the kids are asleep and it comes down to pursuing my writing or hanging out with my husband who I haven't talked to all day :) I agree~ it's a balancing act. Becoming part of a blogging community has really helped me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all find our support in different ways. I try to keep my family out of my writing so far as they'll have higher expectations for me than I have for m!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tend to write to please myself first, and maybe am too secure in my writing. My problem lies in the time. I feel I will never have enough time to commit and that's what gives me the "why bothers". Great post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Writing and publishing is always a personal thing. When you're ready to publish, you will. Until then, we walk through the fire.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.