Monday, September 26, 2011

Imago Alone 2nd Campaigner Challenge

Rachel Harrie second Campaign Challenge. Here are the deets:

Write a blog post in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, whether flash fiction, non-fiction, humorous blog musings, poem, etc. The blog post should:



• include the word "imago" in the title


• include the following 4 random words: "miasma," "lacuna," "oscitate," "synchronicity,"


If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional and included in the word count), make reference to a mirror in your post.


For those who want an even greater challenge (optional), make your post 200 words EXACTLY!

I had to look up these words and it was hard to get something that makes sense to me. Hopefully I pulled it off. =)


Imago Alone


Beyond the gaping lacuna where beacons of trash rose like spires, emitting a miasma of stench, I stood. The enigmatic synchronicity of decaying nutrients, rotted remains, and sinewy substances assaulted my hypersensitive antennae. The mountainous refuse alluded to peace where oscitation of the indigenous species were sometimes a prelude of what was to come. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I stood perched on my six appendages until my stomach rumbled. With legs I could barely control, I wobbled into the dankness of the shack nestled between the mounds of dead things where she waited.

“Why are you doing this?” she asked, pulling at her restraints.

I opened my mouth to speak but the sounds were a myriad of screeches, incomprehensible to the human ear. Mirrored shards reflected the monstrosity I had become.

“Professor,” she sobbed. “Don’t do this. I’m sorry. It was my fault. I should never have fallen asleep in your lab class.”

I laughed as my newfound appendages sliced at her. Like hedge trimmers, they tore through soft flesh. I laughed as I dug my head into the bliss warmth and feasted.

If I had a quarter for every kid who fell asleep in my lab class…

Thanks for reading.

38 comments:

  1. Wow! That was fantastic. You used the words wonderfully and made it look easy. (And I know it's not!) I love the last line. I laughed even with the horror of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is why you just don't TAKE a lab class! Love the last line. Great usage of the words.
    Really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was both a fun and dark piece, great use of the words, chilling to get sliced apart just for falling asleep! Poor kid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it. It's totally cool that you were a bug person. :) I'm glad I never fell asleep in lab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha.
    My friend teaches history to high school seniors. I must share this with him. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah! I was on the brink of pure terror until I got to the last line. I had a lab teacher in college that could be your MC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your details of your "horror story. I always WANTED to fall asleep in lab classes. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun and scary at the same time, well done!
    Mine is #3.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHAHAHA! Okay, so I shouldn't laugh at this. But I think I've had some nightmares where my biology teacher did the same thing because I fell asleep in her class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes! Very Kafka-esque. I will never view my hedge trimmers the same again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was excellent. So many fine descriptions with a perfect ending. Thank God I always loved lab.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Creepy! And the ending is perfect. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for reading! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay so that was disturbing. Good job. Mine is #29

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man! I seriously had the gross face on the whole time I read that. Excellent work on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, glad I'm not one of your lab students! Very good entry. Nice descriptions, if gruesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, man, this is creeptastic! Talk about dark and vivid language :) Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yuck! That just churned my stomach. In a good way! What an effective piece of writing. Disturbing and sinister.

    Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the way you used the required words. Great flash piece!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks! And for the record, I'm not a teacher nor a bug for that matter, though my kids may say something different. =)

    Happy Writing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job with the challenge. I think you used the words in the most effective way out of all I've read so far. I'm a new follower from the campaign and #127 in this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Ciara and Welcome! Heading over there now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vivid description in this piece! Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Creepy. Great description. I like the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  25. cool!
    i love dystopian bug stories =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Vivid and creepy and that last line, priceless. Great take on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, that was great!!! It's like a whole big story in just so few words.

    I'm number 180, if you would like to take a look at my little creation.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved the language you used in this - I sat here pulling faces as I read it... gross!! :) I also didnt even notice the "challenge" words in your story, I had to go back and see where they were: absolutely not shoe-horned in there. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I liked this! It was good to see another dark entry! I'm voting for it now. :) I'm 125.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bwahahaha! So macabre. I really enjoyed your piece. Great job on the challenge.

    #189

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.