Wednesday, September 14, 2011

For the love of horror

Before I get to my regularly scheduled post...I made it to the second round in the short story challenge!  Woohoo! Thanks everyone who took the time out to read it. If you haven't and would like to, click here.

For the love of horror

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft

While writing my YA horror manuscript, I've rekindled my interest in the horror genre. My first love of books started with horror through Stephen King.  I grew up around ghost stories and have always feared the paranormal and the unknown.


Gothika  scared me more than  I know What You Did Last Summer


Nightmare on Elm Street gave me nightmares more than Friday the 13th. 


Horror provokes a response, emotional, psychological, or physical within each individual that causes someone to react with fear.

In 1826, the gothic novelist Ann Radcliffe published an essay distinguishing two elements of horror fiction, "terror" and "horror". Whereas terror is a feeling of dread that takes place before an event happens, horror is a feeling of revulsion or disgust after an event has happened. Wikipedia

Related Genres:
  Crime Fiction
  Dark Fantasy
  Thrillers
  Speculative Fiction

What are you most frightened of? 



12 comments:

  1. I love horror, but the movies I couldn't bring myself to watch were the Saw movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on that essay, I'm terrified way more often than horrified. What might happen definitely scares me more than what has!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cool. I never knew the difference between horror and terror. My worst fear: Tight spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't do horror! If a movie is too intense, I sometimes have to watch something happy afterward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can watch psychopaths, swarming locusts, and aliens. I CANNOT watch movies with demons, possessions, and ghosts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use to be a big horror movie nut. I've watched so many over the years. Nothing ever scared me until I became a mom. Now I'm afraid of anything happening to my son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love horror, and this time of year is fantastic! I can watch marathons of Halloween flicks. Just finished Horns by Joe Hill (shhhh....he's Stephen King's son) and really liked it. The only types of horror I can't stomach are anything to do with children being hurt. I won't read them, it makes my stomach turn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miranda, I've never seen the Saw movies. I don't like movies like that.

    Sarah, I think the scary part is the terror, then comes the gross part. I can do with less gross on screen. Writing, well...bring it on. =)

    Clarissa, yeah...tight spots. That's a good one.

    Brinda, I'm with you Demons and ghosts scare me. =) I do watch 'em though and read 'em.

    Christine, I don't like watching or reading about harm to kids. I'm with with Julie on that one.

    Julie, thanks for the reference. I gotta check out Joe Hill.

    Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome! Good for you!
    As for your question, I fear failure above all else, which I define as doing my best and it not being enough. Nothing paranormal is scarier than that, at least to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marcy, Ooo Salem's Lot. I gotta go back and reread Stephen King's books. I've read them such a long time ago all I get are impressions. Scary impressions. =)

    Emily, failing is scary business. So personal.

    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For some reason the aliens in the movie 'Signs' really really freak me out... otherwise I love all things horror:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.