Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First Campaigner Challenge

Below is my snippet for the First Campaigner Challenge! Here are the rules:

Write a short story/flash fiction story in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, including a poem. Begin the story with the words, “The door swung open” These four words will be included in the word count.

If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional), use the same beginning words and end with the words: "the door swung shut." (also included in the word count)

Go to here to vote.


The door swung open. I should've ignored it and continued on my merry way, considering it had a deadbolt the size of my kitten. But I didn't. Instead, I projected insanity and found my curiosity manically appealing, like base jumping. I had no parachute, but I went in anyway.

My eyes adjusted to the dark. The space cramped, it smelled like wet dog. Cats were so much cleaner, in my opinion.  A low grumble to my right forced me to step left. Rule number one when met with an attacker: know your exit. Mine just happened to get further from me.

A sliver of light hung like a transparent curtain between me and the monster in the corner. Its red eyes gleamed as it let out a low grumble.  Its paw slipped forward  into the light, and it retracted with a hiss. Hope swelled through me.

I reached for the door. Just inches from the doorknob and I would be free. But something skittered beside me and I jumped, missing the knob and hitting the black painted windowpane instead. I heard a high pitch meow. Dumb cat. I should've gotten a dog, I thought just as the door swung shut. 


23 comments:

  1. Very nice. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like cats! Well, I like dogs too.

    Hope you have success with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed this Chandara! Congrats on giving us a some great flash fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was fun. Cats can certainly add adventure to your life at odd moments, can't they? Roland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! That was fantastic. I laughed and was kept on the edge of my seat the entire time. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! No offense to dogs an cats. I'm actually allergic to both. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I thought it was all scary and spooky, and then it was just a cat. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great! Now I'm going to have nightmares. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. This felt very symbolic to me. ice job. Mine is #72

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! A kitten-sized-deadbolt... awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have judged your peice and it has qualified to move on to stage two. CONGRADS!
    I thought it was different and funny. It had a strong voice. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have judged your peice and it has qualified to move on to stage two. CONGRADS!
    I thought it was different and funny. It had a strong voice. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! Thanks I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! Odd word for this genre, but still the one that came to mind. Great descriptions. Love the "last thought."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.