Monday, August 8, 2011

Writing horror

I grew up around ghost stories.  If you missed a glimpse into my roots go here...  My first horror experience in literature was It by Stephen King and I was hooked. I decided to give writing horror a shot with  my current WIP and I am hooked, again.  I think it takes a certain mindset to gear up to write horror and my first murder scene freaked me out, I admit. I felt, well, bad for my characters and had to learn to separate myself from them in order to give the scene its due. In light of my new found love of the suspenseful, thriller, horror genre, I've posted some links on the genre here. I hope you likes...

I'm also featured on Lydia's blog with a question on disease for a character. Check it out here.

How to write horror...here 

Horror writing tips from Horror Write's Association.

Horror Fiction for Children...article. 

Thoughts on horror...quotes and links. Here 

On the whole separation issue...how do you separate yourself from your characters, especially when you have to put them through something horrific?

12 comments:

  1. I've had to "torture" a few characters, and I think knowing the outcome makes it a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Lydia on this one. As long as I know it's coming, I'm okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to feel this way too, to the detriment of a few stories. I hated putting my beloved characters through hell, so the stories lacked suspense and tension.

    I don't mind much anymore though. >:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no problem torturing my characters. Sometimes it's a bit masochistic on my part, but I like the emotion it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks...yeah, it's a process. The outcome doesnt bode well for my characters. Especially those that end up, well...dead. It did help talking to my older sons about it. They are hilarious and love brainstorming, especially when it comes to gore. It took the "seriousness" out of the mix.

    Family therapy comes to mind. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must have a bit of the sadist in me; I like devising ways to make my characters suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chandara--I've given you an award, you sadist, you. Come by my blog to check it out. http://www.gypsyjulesinmysoul.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there. Saw you at Julies's blog...glad you meet you. Following. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Laila...and thanks for the follow and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog and am so glad that I did. Thanks for the links. I was just at a writing conference where editors and agents were talking about how horror is the next big trend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo That's good to know, Cynthia. Thanks for the follow and comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.