Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Teen Beta

I've begun chiseling my current work in progress. You know...looking at characterization, plot, words, and  getting my characters name straight. For some reason all their last names ended up being Miller. Yeah, I had to make sure to diversify.

And...I found me an awesome Teen beta reader...and she's not family so I don't have to bribe her. Woohoo!

I have to admit it was scary business sending her the draft. I've worked with kids/teens and they can be brutally honest. Not mean...Just real. I got used to getting crits from adult betas and have developed a shell for it and learned to look through their eyes. But a teen beta? My target audience? I didn't know what to expect.

What I got was a well written and honest feedback, balancing the good and the bad.  I survived. And it felt really, really good to reach my target audience.

What about you? Have you received feedback from your target audience?



6 comments:

  1. Luckily, I target adults. It's awesome to have a beta readers. Good luck with yours. :) The feedback helps tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE my teen betas! They're often better than my adult betas because they read the story for different reasons.. they read because they like the story.. adults read technically and point out technical things without getting emotionally involved in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the beta reader! Those are so hard to come by sometimes. I have to admit I'm a chicken when it comes to that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently I finally did, oddly because an agent asked me to. I was glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. Cheyanne, you are so right. It is a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SUPER COOL!!!! Congrats.

    I've gotten teen beta feedback. Luckily it was good, LOL!

    Write on!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.