Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Question for teens

Brittany over at Hills and Corkscrews answered some questions directed at teens. Check it out. My question and answer is below.

I would like to know how you go about choosing a book to read. Is it the cover? The title? Word of mouth?


 
Answer:

 
The first thing that catches my eye as I'm walking through a library or bookstore is the cover or title of the book. Then I might pick it up and if the cover is at least somewhat appealing, I'll look at the back cover. If it sounds at least mildly interesting I'll read the first page, and if that doesn't grab me enough then I won't get it.

I don't get a lot of book recommendations from my family or friends. (That's because we don't read the same genres.) About 90% of the books on my TBR list are books that I heard about on the internet, whether through blogs or recommendations.

 
I'm also a lot more likely to buy or check out a book if the writer has some kind of internet presence- whether they vlog, blog, or tweet. If the author seems like an interesting or funny or sweet or smart or sarcastic (or whatever) kind of person, then I'm a lot more likely to read that person's book.

Taking 5 random books from my TBR list or from my favorite books, here's how I heard about them:

  • The Shifter by Janice Hardy- Janice is represented by Kristin Nelson, one of my dream agents, and I decided that I should read a few of the books she represents probably a year and a half ago.
  • The Absolutely True-Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. I was looking at a list of NYT bestsellers and saw this. I read a book review of it and was so intrigued that I bought it at my local indie the next day
  • The Christopher Killer by Alane Ferguson- I think I was looking up lists of YA mystery novels on Amazon, looking for something to add to my TBR when I found this. I read the first few pages and the blurb and thought it sounded awesome (and it is).
  • Little Brother by Cory Doctorow- I saw this at my local indie bookstore and picked it up because the spine looked cool. I didn't think much of it and I didn't buy it, but I wrote the title down and later checked it out and read it over Spring Break.
  • Plain Kate by Erin Bow- I saw a mini-review of this on Mary Kole's blog, read the first few pages on Amazon, and checked it out at the library.

 
Check out the other questions at her blog.

2 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed reading all the teens' posts~ they are so ahead of the game, and I'm excited for where their writing will go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Jess. I think it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.