Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Finding the time to write

What I've given up to make time to write...

Housework was the first to go. Sorry, childlings but everyone has to put their part here.  I give myself a chore schedule one day during the weekend to deep clean and one hour, or less, a day to do something. Pick something and once the hour is up, that's it.


Television...I used to be such a couch potato as a kid that I'm surprised this one doesn't affect me much.  I don't watch television and when I do it has to be something great. 





Videogames...Kids tried to get be addicted to this one, didn't work. Can't seem to use both thumbs simultaneously.


Music...not completely, but in my car. I use the time to brainstorm into a recorder or listen to audio books.


My schedule, for the most part:

7am - 8am I get up an hour before I have to get ready for work to do the social marketing thing. I've limited myself to blogging and twitter until more time allows. 

8am - 9am The morning drive to work I either listen to an audio book or brainstorm connections in plot points and characters from my writing the night before.

9:00am - 5:00pm Work is  iffy to get anything done, so I don't include that in my writing agenda.  If I write during that time great, if not then no harm done.

6:00pm-8:30pm,  Family time. I take my daughter for walks = exercise for me. She can run fast!  I go over day with kids, cook, clean etc.

8:30pm 12:30pm, I Write 3 - 4 hours during the evening and let my mind simmer with the scene as I sleep. 

Then repeat the next day. 

Helpful suggestions:

Butt in chair = writing - internet.  Cut yourself off from the cyberworld. It is the only way to get anything done.

I've incorporated my writing as I would a part-time job.  Meaning I have to be held accountable to write.

It helps to have short assignment goals. During the first draft I write until my mind draws a blank. During  revisions I go back and like to work chapter to chapter.

Do I hit myself upside the head if this doesn't happen. NO.  The purpose is not to feel bad for not doing what you know you must, it's about being aware that you must do it.  

And remember there is an end in the midst. After finishing up a story, take a nice vacation from writing before leaping back in. 

Other posts I've written about time here and here

What does your schedule look like?

10 comments:

  1. Excellent! Yep, definitely have to give up the TV and video games. And housework can be resourced out :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you get away with little sleep. I need to get into bed by 10:30 or I'm useless when I'm up at 7:00 in the morning. I need to limit my networking time too. That has grown and taken up more of my writing time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks DU, I'm with you on housework. ☺

    Christine, I usually need 6 - 7 hours of sleep and I'm a very light sleeper. Social media does take a lot of time.

    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so disciplined! I also work full time and have two small kids, and finding time can be hard, especially when you're exhausted at the end of a day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of this group, I may be the only one who doesn't really have a schedule. After living years on a minute-by-minute teaching schedule, I have rebelled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to try the writing - internet. I'm still working on that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you don't even want to know my schedule but I seriously commend you for yours. All your hard work and diligence will pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie, I wish I were disciplined. See helpful suggestion of... don't hit myself upside the head... I learned that one the hard way. LOL

    Hey Susan, whatever works.

    Lydia, It is a struggle to get off the net. But worth it.

    Anita, thanks for the encouragement. It always feels good. ☺

    Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a rigorous schedule!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've become really lax with my writing. Haven't written anything in ages and I have several novels that I should be working on. I'm in editing mode now so I guess I have an excuse. :) My writing time is mostly after work. Used to be I'd writing in the morning too. Haven't done that in a long time though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.