Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The JOURNEY of LIFE part 2

If you missed my last post here, we talked a little bit about self assessment in an effort to move towards self awareness. Now, please note that I am no guru, life coach, or anything like it. I am working towards my own self awareness and wanted to share.


My favorite slogan because it is to the point and honest.  You HAVE to, at one point, stop the planning and start the doing. This is the hard part, for some of us. Ahem, me.  So below are some pointers on getting started on the implementation part of your plan using Logic Models.


Not to complicate things...too late, but this visual helps, not only in planning, but in the evaluation part as well. And that is something we sometimes forget to do.  
This model simply states If (I changed to when) I do this, this will happen.  

When I write 1,000 words a day, I will finish my manuscript in sixty days.
When I exercise 30 minutes a day, I will higher my energy levels. 

Some tidbits about creating your statements. Make sure your outcome is measurable by your standards. In my second example "energy levels" is too broad a statement unless I use a chart like the emoticons.

Something to this effect that I can track. 

It's a good idea to begin with your end goals while brainstorming your statements. I want my MS done in 60 days. What do I have to do to get there? Careful with using goals you cannot control, such as getting an agent.  You can do steps to move forward in getting an agent, Write, polish, send out queries etc, but each of these steps is a goal in and of itself that YOU can control.   Getting an agent...not so much.

And there you have it.  Strategic Planning 101!

Anything you would like to add?

5 comments:

  1. I've done a lot of training on goal setting (in the spirit of do as I say, not as I do...haha) and this makes a lot of sense to me. A similar principle is to make sure you're setting SMART goals -- Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely. So, if your goal is to increase your weekly word count, for example:

    set an actual number (specific)

    how you're going to measure it (measurable -- and easy with Word)

    focus on a goal that's the right balance between slackerly and impossible (attainable)

    take into account how much time you have to devote to writing between other commitments and life in general (realistic)

    and set a longer-range target to keep you on track with your weekly goal (timely).

    Sounds easy. People always walk away nodding like it makes a lot of sense. I'm going to try it one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've participated in some goal setting seminars, specifically related to skating. And they say if you write your goals down (as you have in this post) that you are more likely to achieve them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goal setting is definitely important and even more critical is getting stuff done. It works best for me when I'm specific in setting goals I can measure tangibly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to set goal so I don't work 24 hours a day and write garbage. At some point my brain needs a break, I visit the real world, then when I come back, I'm as fresh as a daisy and ready to roll. Setting goals helps keep balance in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda, the s.m.a.r.t way of looking at goals is a great idea!

    Anita, I do write my goals down and blow the dust off every few months. LOL.

    Thanks J.L. Goals are nothing if you don't get to the doing. You're right about that.

    Emily, breaking goals is allowed. It's the power of having them on paper and not stone.

    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.