Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Know thy audience

Who reads this stuff anyway?  I wonder myself. Are young adults actually reading, well, young adult.  Are women reading romance? Are men reading science fiction?  

And the most important question, are we writing for our intended audience?

This question came about because I'm in the process of slaughtering, I mean revising, my young adult work in progress. And while waiting at the dentist office with my son, my intended audience walks in and she's holding a book. I couldn't see what she was reading, and to avoid being thought of as some freaky stalker chic, I didn't ask. But it got me thinking. Do they really care about the theme in my story? Do they really care about my brilliantly written prose? Do they really care about my character's backstory?  I'm afraid to say, I doubt it.  Let's face it, we are competing with skype, cheerleading, soccer, Facebook, and all the other wonderful gadgets out there. Do you really think they have the time or the desire to try to figure things out within our brilliantly written prose? 

I don't think so.  Any thoughts?





5 comments:

  1. To be honest, when I read "brilliantly written prose", I cringed, envisioning some overwrought, flowery thing. I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant. When I think about good prose, though, something clean and with rhythm and meaningful - yes, they want that. We all do, that's why we read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think YA is enjoyed by many ages, not just teens. That being said, most teens don't actually have much time for leisure reading. I know I didn't when I was a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amber, meant extra stuff that the writer thinks is brilliant but may not be. Thanks for your comments.

    Hi Amber, teens are busy. And I agree, adults read ya too, maybe more than teens. ☺

    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be great is a book simply lets the reader lose themselves in the story. With some thought, they may love the theme, notice some well-wrought phrases, how nice and twisted the plot was.
    Or not! They might just say, "That was amazing. Period."

    Either way, I think that's a success. I guess it's up to the writer to craft the story so it has that effect--either one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. And it really depends. Not everyone likes the same things. Thanks Lydia.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.