Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Success and a Challenge

The event was a success! (See previous post) We had in total 70 teens show up and on a non-school day to boot!  The Keynote was awesome, inspiring and motivated. After a few hiccups in the program-- one of the panelist forgot about the event but made it, and our lunches were 20 minutes late pushing back our agenda--the program ran smoothly.

One interesting note the youth made was that the professional speed-networking event was too short. We gave them 5-7 minutes to sit and speak with a professional at a table then they had to move to speak with another professional.  We had professionals from various fields, from construction to engineering. The youth mentioned that it was the first time they ever sat and spoke with a professional and they loved it!

And so for a challenge for all you wonderful professionals out there. I know we all have success stories and we all are a professional in one capacity or another. I challenge you to find a youth organization or school and go out and talk about your profession.  I am certain it will make an impact in the life of a youth.  And...out of the 70 there was one who mentioned creative writing as a profession. ☺

Awesome!

4 comments:

  1. very cool! I've actually thinking about starting a teen writing group with me as the 'mentor' through either our local high school or the youth center but I'm not sure how to get started and of course, it would be another thing to do...but a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome that the teens wanted more time with the professionals--what an inspiring event! Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it went really well! I'm glad so many teens showed up. Success! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcy, I think it would be a great experience. I'm working with an organization and hope to get things moving. But like you said, it's one more thing to do. Good luck with that.

    Thanks Jess. It was amazing. I was really surprised on how absorbed they were. It was great!

    Thanks Tony!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.