Monday, February 21, 2011

Rejection for all to see

Don't be too quick to announce your failures. I've read over and over how agents look at our blogs before offering representation and one thing they seem to be in agreement about is...don't write about your rejections, those anticipated nor those received.

We all have been there, done that, and continue to tread deep into the trenches, but be wary of total transparency.  Especially if it can come back and bite you where the sun don't shine. 

I can understand why we may write about our failures. It is only human to want support and to feel you are not alone on this journey.

Support can be obtained without full transparency and I'm sorry to say but you are alone on this journey. Though most of us understand the pain of rejection, we can't ease your pain no matter how many words of comfort we offer. You alone have the power to do that, in your own way.  Chocolate, great movies, and family time helps me.

What do you think?  Should we be posting both our successes and failures for the world to see?

7 comments:

  1. I think if it's done in a constructive manner, maybe to share a part of the experience to help someone else, than it's okay. Personally, I try to focus on the positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I keep my rejections under lock and key and I don't even mention when I'm querying on my blog. Only positive happy stuff goes on something that anyone in the world can see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe talking about rejection also in a positive way as a teaching, sharing tool is wonderful. I also believe that we shouldn't give in to myths when we pave our road to publication. If I gave into everything I've heard about getting published, hey, I wouldn't be. In the end, we write because it makes us happy, we pursue sharing it because of our own personal desires, and if we speak about our journey - tastefully - it won't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Anything "Negative" delete it.

    Keep "Positive" full frontal!

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  5. Positive is the way to go! Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it can be useful to know that other people are getting rejections too, because if there is too much reporting of only the good stuff, it can seem like you're the only one who doesn't have some success to report. But it also depends on the purpose of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am inspired by all the blogs out there, writers, authors, and agents. Its great to have a voice out there and believe someone is listening. I think that's why we blog and write and do whatever it is we do. ☺

    Thanks for all your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.