Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Giving Thanks...and a contest

Market My Words...Pay it Forward contest. It will run this week - Monday, Jan 31 at 9am EST - Friday, Feb 4th at 5pm EST. The winner will get a personal recommendation to agent Alyssa Henkin at Trident Media.

I'm not sure if I'm going to enter, but I thought it was such a great idea that here is my post.

Giving thanks to those who helped me and inspired me to write.

I'd have to say, my courage to "come out of the closet" began with the encouragement of two of my bestest sisters. Edith and Judy.  We came together and started Sister's with a Cause (SWAC) because we decided it was time to live our true lives. It has been an awesome experience and because of them, I've gotten this far.

I'd like to thank my first crit group: Skip, Abiola, Max and Lisa. They were brave enough to read the first couple of chapters of my very first manuscript and offered awesome feedback and inspiration.  We've since departed ways, but continue to write.

I'd like to thank my crit group over at the writer's pen: Paul, Kellee, Sylvia, Angie, Philip and Tony. An honest, awesome bunch. It's hard to find a balance of nice and honest when it comes to writing and I think these guys got it down pact. Thanks!

I'd like to thank my betas. James, who was my springboard when I needed to vent, as well as my second pair of eyes.  Thanks!  

Brenda for venturing the realm of YA contemporary and giving me awesome feedback.

Jellyro and Sammie for being brave enough to read my YA manuscript and offer awesome feedback.

Michele Davidson Argyle for graciously offering a private critique of my query letter. I didn't think there could be people so nice! 

I'd also like to thank the awesome community at Query Tracker and Inkwell. And also the gals who put together the awesome WriteOnConThat is giving back to the community.

I'd also like to include my sons Angel and Jorge for being honest. It stings, sometimes, but in order to grow I need a healthy balance of what is real.  Thanks guys for making it real!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for family and crit partners! Good luck on the contest, if you end up entering!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.