Monday, September 27, 2010

It was written in the stars...destiny in Fantasy

When I was a kid, I was drawn into books and movies of legend. Legends, much like fate, plays a role in the writing of epic fantasy. It is scribed in the details of your setting, your characters motives, and the plot. It is also a dangerous revelation for your readers. If not considered well, the legend and thus fate can ultimately feel like a copout. An excuse for the writer to say, well, that had to happen because it was her destiny. Try writing that in a query and see if an agent bites. Probably not.


The story becomes interesting when fate is wrong. Or when your character fights it tooth and nail. Or better yet, sometimes your character and readers may not be aware that fate plays a role in it. Written in with subtlety keeps the character, and by extension the reader, guessing until eventually that a-ha moment comes to play and things connect.

I like it when things connect in the end, don't you?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, yes! And I'm always disappointed when things don't connect.

    I'm not fond of destiny stories, but I like the alternatives you list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes it can be interesting when characters try to avoid their 'fate' but end up doing exactly what was predicted anyway. And, of of course it depends on how it is handled - and what that destiny is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like destiny stories because you still don't know the road they take to get there. I think we are all destined for greatness. LOL.

    I agree Marcy. It can be an interesting ride.

    Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fate and destiny are tow different things and you can change your destiny if you change your fate as it all rests with you. I loved this. made me want to contribute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.