Thursday, September 9, 2010

Believing

I apologize for the late post. I try to post at least once a week, really I do. But…with the kids back in school I began a remodeling project at home. Me. I’ll tell ya, Bob the Builder I am not. Time did get the best of me.


Anyway, after scrambling my mind for something awesome and inspiring to write about, I decided to follow some sort of theme for the month.

My theme for September is…Fantasy.

It helps that I posted my pics last week.

My very first manuscript, written when I was seventeen, was an urban fantasy piece. Fantasy, for me, means being lifted into another world where not everything is what it seems. When a character enters a fantastical realm they are often plunged into unbelievable circumstances.

It is the writer's responsibility to make sure the reader believes.

I was made a believer by the movie realm: ET, Star Wars, Krull and countless others. Countless times I waited to be swept into an adventure that would include swords, magical artifacts, light sabers and faraway places.

Then I grew up. But nothing changed.

Only now I don’t have to wait to be swept into an adventure. I can read about it and write about it with hopes of transforming the next generation into believers.

What turned you into believers?

3 comments:

  1. The velveteen rabbit turned me into a believer that if I just loved my stuffed animals enough, they'd all come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ursula LeGuin's A Wizard of Earthsea. This book made me see just how powerful fantasy could be. Evangeline Walton's retelling of the Mabinogion, which made me see the power of Myth. And The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle which showed me both the power and the beauty of words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine. I didn't want my toys to come to life but i'd often stare at them willing them to fly to me. LOL. Didn't happen.

    Hi Marcy, LeGuin's on my to read list. I gotta check out the others. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.