Friday, August 20, 2010

Tips to spark your creativity

There's a lot of information out there in the universe offering suggestions on sparking your creative side.  Digging deeper into who you are is important for self fulfilment.  Lessons you learn are important, but what is more important is how you learn it.  What is that creative process that keeps your juices flowing. I'm always looking for that "magic pill" that simply taking it will make you 100lbs thinner, will bring you joy and happiness. That pill doesn't exist.

It takes a lot of work to be me.  I'm still working on it.

So here's a list of ideas you can try.

Mind mapping.  I'm a list person and this idea says to stop making lists.  Lists are rigid. Instead of making a list, map out what you want to achieve in your mind.  Visualize it to the fullest in your mind and work from inside out.  Start with what you want to achieve, the want.  Then visualize, and write down, the steps to get there.  Seeing it, feeling it, smelling it, touching it (whatever "it" is) is key.

Keep a journal.  I tend to remember mine when I'm pissed off at the world and want to vent.  Journals can be very useful for things other than pain.  Write down what makes you happy. Again being very specific. In the course of a week write down what activities made you drag your arse, and which activities made you smile.  Review it after a while and a pattern should emerge. Do more of what makes you happy.

Expand your curiosity.  Find answers to things you want to know about.  How do islands form? Why do cockroaches live forever? (ewww)  What guards the great pyramids?  Learn something that has nothing to do with writing or whatever you are an expert on.

Write down your ideas on anything. JK Rowling wrote down her ideas on a napkin.  Don't let any ideas escape you.

Find a mentor. Technology is going so fast I can't even keep up.  I write some YA and am um...old-er.  Find a mentor that is younger than you and knows all this stuff.  Both can benefit.

Footsteps of a Writer has great posts on artistic creativity.

Would you like to share some things you do to spark creativity?  I'd love to hear it.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not feeling creative today, so I'll let your tips get me sparking. And, hopefully, sparkling. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips to try. Thanks so much for posting. When I'm doing something that requires little thought and I'm able to let my mind wander (like when I'm exercising or running) I find that ideas come to me. I'm not sure why this works for me, but it does. I also ask a lot of "what if" questions. Like if I'm walking through an amusement park, I might think, "What if riders went into the Haunted House ride and never came out?" and then this thought leads to a book for middle-graders. Anyway, I know I'm way weird. Keep up the terrific work ono your blog. I really enjoy reading it. Blessings, Buffy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb, I know exactly how you feel. I'm sure you'll find your spark soon!

    Thanks for your comment Buffy. I do need to exercise more. LOL. Clearing the head is a good thing to start new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. like these tips. I find if I go for a long hike, I usually come back with some new line of dialogue or plot point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I people watch in odd places. Real life peeps are so amusing, I can have a new character in my head in the blink of an eye. Then I start jotting notes of how their story will unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Terry, I love the visuals on your blog. I can "see" that hike. LOL.

    Hi PK, thanks for your comment. I was thinking about doing just that. Without binoculars of course. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.