Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Ticking of Time

Do You Ever Feel as if Time is against you?

Everytime I think of time running out I remember Marisa Tomei in the movie My Cousin Vinny (1992) where she stomps her foot and complains to Joe Pesci that her biological clock is ticking.  Yes, I'm that old. 

It may not be my biological clock, I finally smashed that clock to smithereens, but there is something about time that keeps me on edge.

My thoughts about time:

     It will always be there, ticking, no matter what.

     Time is what you make of it, not what it makes you.

     There is enough time to do everything you need to do.  Deciding what you need to do, well, that's another story.

     Time is but a perception. There is no real time, only what you make of it.

     Time is not a number, it's an idea.

     You can't touch it, smell it, hear it, but you can feel it, if you choose to. I choose not to feel it.

What are your thoughts about time?

6 comments:

  1. I have always felt that time is against me. One single life is no where near enough time to do everything I want, not the least of which is writing all the stories in my head, plu all the books I want to read, everything I want to learn, all the pictures I want to draw and paint, places I want to go...dammit! I want to live forever! And I'm actually not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts on time. I often think of that scene in My Cousin Vinny.

    Sometimes I think time goes way too fast and life is just too hectic. And I see so much how life changes, sometimes in big ways, over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel marcy, but i think if we lived forever we really wouldn't care so much about it--time. It makes our life precious. I'm sure you'll be able to pick and chose those things that really matter in your life and make them shine. We have to.

    Hi natalie, we are blessed and cursed to live in a time where advances has jumped exponentially...I won't even go there...but i hope to think that I am still the same person. And that is what counts!! Stay true to yourself.

    Sorry if it sounds preachy. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time. The older I get, the faster time goes. I remember when I was little and it seemed like it took forever for Christmas to arrive. Now, it's here before I know it. I think that time can be a master. For me as an editor, there are daily print deadlines to meet, meetings to attend, writers to coach etc. So the clock rules my life 90 percent of the time. The other 10 percent, there is so much that I want and need to do that the clock is my way of organizing the chaos. I decide the hours I will run, the amount of time for writing and reading and checking out blogs. My life is way too busy to disregard time. Maybe when I retire it will be different. But knowing me, probably not. I'm sure I will have tons of stuff to do even then.

    This reminded me of the movie with Tom Hanks in it. Castaway I think it was. Do you remember the role time played in that movie? It really made you think about time. At least it did me. His life was ruled by time and then when he was stranded on the island, time was lost.

    Thanks for your thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think that there is such a thing as time. I think it is a measurable phenomenon, but I also find the theory of relativity fascinating as to how time changes as one approaches the speed of light. Not that I know that much about it, but just enough to get me thinking.

    I also feel that time is a gift from God. I believe that we will have to account for every moment we spent upon this earth when we finally stand before Him. This is both scary and liberating, for it requires us to hold everything we do up to the light of not just temporal, but spiritual, necessity. The time I spent writing this comment is important both because I have a commitment to blogging and connecting with fellow writers, because I feel compelled to share a little of the truth as I see it, and because it has reminded me of this very fact!

    Yes, I'm philosophical this morning.

    "The unreflected life is not worth living." - Socrates

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments and for making think more on the subject. It is an important reality in our lives. Thanks,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.