Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bloggers United

Over at Inkwell we've decided to share our favorite books. So here's mine.

1. IT by Stephen King.  IT became my favorite because it was the first full length adult book I read and I was instantly drawn into the world of make-believe.  IT is the story of a killer clown terrorizing kids. Not a person, but an entity that draws its form from whatever the victim fears. It isn't my favorite solely because of its content, but the impression I kept with me from reading it. It was then that I decided I wanted to write. So thanks Stephen King! 

2. Lord of the Rings by Tolkien.  The One ring. I'm sure you know what that one is about.  I've been writing fantasy since forever but never found a book I liked, until Lord of the Rings.  The world building blew me away.  I can't say more than that.

I have other books I like but these two stand out more than the rest. What is your favorite book and why?

7 comments:

  1. my favorite book? Oh, that would be much too hard because there are so many I've loved and read again. But here's one that comes to mind because of the sheer beauty of the prose: The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

    Ah, if I could write like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite book is Magic's Pawn, by Mercedes Lackey. A painful-but-wonderful coming-of-age story in a brilliant world.

    I wish I could write like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd have a hard time picking too. But I love Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter series, Shiver, Melissa Marr's series, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's so many books I've yet to discover. My summer reading list just gets longer and longer. I look forward to it. =-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite book isn't a fantasy book. (I'm not counting Tolkien's trilogy, though!) Daniel Martin, by John Fowles, is a stupendous book of character.

    Fantasy (other than above)? I like Zelazny's Amber series. Wonderful writing when the characters move from reality to reality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What! IT? Really? I was too scared to read it when I was younger... actually, I still am. The things I read tend to stick in my head. I was never too loving of clowns but after this guy came in, I was ready to beat them away with a stick.

    As for Lord of the Rings, I loved the movies, and I know they don't compare to the awesomeness of the books. It amazes me every time to think how one man came up with a world of such exquisite detail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comment Tom, i have to check that one out.

    Vry, yes IT. I was a disturbed child. I like being scared while cozy at home. =-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.