Wednesday, April 21, 2010

World building

World building encompasses many facets from set design, to landscape, to costume design. When I think of world building I think about movies and making of movies. I tend to navigate towards the medieval period and I love Lord of the Rings both movie and book. With the new technological advances (DVD’s) you are able to see the preproduction brainstorming that goes into putting the world together. From the making of swords and armor, to the building of sets and costume, all of it is there to watch. And I love watching that. It amazes me, both at what is real and what is tied to a blue screen.

I apply this concept when I build my world, minus the blue screen. I learned that horses are not keen to battle and you are in big trouble should you have one in heat. I learned that men can’t really move well with all that armor on them, I learned that swords are really heavy and should match the man, or woman. I also learned that men’s voices don’t carry very well in real life. In battle, when you have the trumpets blaring and the flags up, that means something. Because men in battle can’t really hear a darn thing their commanders are saying. There were loads more.
 
Everything in a movie is deliberate, as it should be in your book. Check these sites to learn specific world building—Janice Hardy blog or SFWA--as well. But you may find that the best information is already in your library of movies. Just go to the special features. And the best thing is, if you are heavy into multitasking, like me, you could watch it while cooking dinner or with your kids. Or while cooking dinner with your kids. 
  

7 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the concept of how every thing should be deliberate in your book. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! It's essential to have some understanding of the reality of the world you want to portray. I get a kick out of movie battles where the commander can be heard and obeyed. As you said, there's not a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lydia and Deb that made me laugh 'cause I believed they could hear each other over distance, wind and all that other noise. After all they could in the movies. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. World building is my favorite part of writing ya-sci fi. I have very limited boundaries in the world I create. The rules for that world are my own. Lots of time I just take what I've seen and morph it into something else. Thanks for giving your method for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the reasons why - even when writing fantasy - I stay "close to home" and write about things I am somehow familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Janice Hardy's world building post. Great idea to watch some of the extras on your favorite fantasies. The world in the Lord of the Rings movies is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love world building. Not only does it give me a reason to write outside my comfort zone, its fun! Glad I can help.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.