Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pictures ARE Worth a Thousand Words

A while back, I started a short story based on a single illustration I found on the internet.  It was a beautiful fantasy picture of a young man crouched, looking out in the distance to a cavernous terrain where a temple was hidden. This had allowed me to use my imagination to fill in the gaps. Who was this man? What was the temple?  Why was he seemingly hiding?  I examined the picture and was intrigued.

A story was born. 

I realized that I didn't have to stop with looking for pictures, but I could take my own pictures of landscapes, or scenes or even people that caught, not only my eye, but my imagination.   I realized that I love looking at stills.  When movies are released they come with a website, in case you didn't know. On the website, they have still photos.  I realized that I can skip the trailer but that the stills always drew me in.  That frozen moment in time can provide an endless possibilty of characters, settings, dialogues and plots.  And the best thing is, you can take that picture yourself. 

2 comments:

  1. ;) Exactly why I spend so much time on photobucket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy Elfwood. Their artworks are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.