Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The End. Now What?

I’ve reread, edited, revised, and recorded my first completed manuscript, now what? I would like nothing more than to slide it, along with all the research materials, outlines, drafts and audio recordings, under my bed and be done with it. Or better yet, hire a more experienced someone to read it and write the perfect query and synopsis and send it out. Hire someone to work their magic and make it possible for those words to reach out into the general populace with my name printed, stamped, etched as the author. Well, isn’t that what an agent does? And we all know how hard it is to get one of those.


At present, I’m fighting the pressing need to sign my name in blood on a contract written by Christopher Walken (only because he freaks me out) in a desperate effort to publish. Where is that magic pill? Where is the instant gratification that so many Americans, humans actually, strive for? Not here, nope. You will receive no magic potions, elixirs, or remedies only truths. And the truth is it isn’t easy. It’s a lot of work. And heart can only take you so far before the passion begins to wane. So after I’ve completed my first manuscript, I have to remind myself of something more that strengthens my resolve and keeps me moving forward. I have to remember my oomph.

When I feel like this, I take out my list of why I write. If you haven’t written one, I would suggest you do so. Write it now while you’re still getting your feet wet in this field. If you are not a newbie and have been doing this for a while, then find a time and a place where you can filter all the outside stressors and take a deep in-depth look at why you began writing. Believe you me that will save you when your morale needs just a bit of a boost. That will remind you of your oomph when you need it most.

4 comments:

  1. Great thoughts! I'm linking back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, there is nothing instant about publishing, except for the fact that it all can change in an instant.

    Good luck! Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! Whenever I need a morale boost, I just look in the mirror! (not that I'm vain or anything... ;)) Great Post! I nominated you for the Happy Blogger award: www.cipherqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'm glad that I'm not in cyberspace alone. Although sometimes it feels that way.

    Elana, thanks too I won't give up. I can't!!

    And Deb, I always look forward to being linked back to you..wink wink LOL Thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I had to turn on the word verification due to spammers. Sorry for the inconvenience.